boost leak???

88boostr

wassup. i have a 88 turbo. I have a boost leak or something i wa also told it could be the wastegate. This is what it does:when i launch i boost up pretty quick and then it stops, when i switch to 2nd it doesnt even boost. i mean i can hear it boosting but i cant feel it. it kinda feels like the fuel cut off thing is coming on too early.any ideas?thanks

88boostr

what would the timing being pulled feel like?it feels like the engine isnt reving higher and it jus stays at that speed.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
thats about what the timing being pulled feels like. It feels like the car just quits pulling and doesn't want to climb anymore.

88boostr

then yes thats how it feels like it doesnt want to go any more. but when i take my foot off the gas and put it back on it flies.. i dont know its weird

88boostr

anyone know?also i see smoke coming from around my exhaust manifold area.Does anyone know how to test if my wastegate is working properly?thanks

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
haha I think i have the same problem....It will boost, then at like 4k 5k rpm, its like if the turbo would stop ..but I still hear it spool like crazy, but the car isnt pulling like it was a 3-4k.
I hit the back of my seat when i take off, then It kinda relaxes for a acouple of seconds at 4k, then kinda pops back in....pissses me off.

88boostr

PynkEye said:
haha I think i have the same problem....It will boost, then at like 4k 5k rpm, its like if the turbo would stop ..but I still hear it spool like crazy, but the car isnt pulling like it was a 3-4k.
I hit the back of my seat when i take off, then It kinda relaxes for a acouple of seconds at 4k, then kinda pops back in....pissses me off.

exactly.anyone know wassup?

88boostr

bumpp any help?i replaced the wastegate. still having boost problems.thanks

88boostr

also when i was replacing the waste gate. i saw that the intake pipe to the turbo(i think its callled the accordian pipe) had a big rip in it and is leaking air . could that be the problem?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
88boostr said:
also when i was replacing the waste gate. i saw that the intake pipe to the turbo(i think its callled the accordian pipe) had a big rip in it and is leaking air . could that be the problem?

Problem solved, that IS your problem.....Unmetered air. Replace it & you should be fine.

Also, when ordering, tell them you own a 91. Same part, but a lot less money.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Nope, thats not it, my accordeon hose was ripped also, could put a finger in it...and didnt change shit. I still get that damn fucked up pause half way into boost....Im changing parts..hopefully ill find it soon. 88boostr pm me, if ever u find it tell me, if ever i find it , ill let you know. Im sure wehave the same prob. Im gonna be buying DP soon with 3inch exhaust..thinking maybe a bad cat ??? air not moving out like it should..could cause too much backpressure and fuck the boost ..what do you think..kinda logical

kulangflow

Celica All-trac Turbo
Mar 30, 2005
UT
my accordeon hose was ripped also, could put a finger in it...and didnt change $%#@

Perhaps that isn't the only place the air is leaking. There are many places you could be pulling in unmetered air under pressure.

Also, check your TPS to make sure it's adjusted properly and in good working order. (details in the TSRM) A bad or improperly adjusted TPS will also cause flat spots in your powerband. I had the same problem before replacing my TPS, and that pretty much cleared it right up. (It used to pull hard up to 4K, then chill there for a second or two, then pull hard again up to redline.)

Good luck!

88turbosup

May 10, 2005
fortwalton beach,florida
Do you have stock ic hoses if so you need to check all of the ruber hoses and the plastic one in the fender. when i bought my car it did the same thing the lower hose that goes to the turbo was busted replaced it and problem went away. :doublebir

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Sweet guys, finally some answers...ok my TPS was adjusted since I used to stall every time rpm would go down and never stop till stall...works great now its ajusted..but who knows...might need to be changed....how much is that worth ???

And ya, before changing lower IC hose...im trying to get some in Aluminum or Steal...hardpipes..fuck getting OEM gonna rip again;)

Hear about some guy selling for 90$ lower ic hose steel with everything included for the drop in. Might check it out.

88boostr

Today i looked at my car again with my friend.he also thinks its the lower IC pipe. There is definatly a leak in one of the IC pipes because i can hear it squealing out.like pynk eye said is there anybody selling a hard lower ic pipe?or even rubber.thanks.

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
If it's not leaking in your lower pipes, check the intercooler piping elbow in the fender... the one that connects the pipe from your fender to the TB.

88boostr

i took off the lower ic pipe today.its cracked. im buyin a new one from speed source.ill keep you all updated thanks for all the help.

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
That sounds like the problem right there, your leaking air after your maf, also the smoke could be from a cracked manifold. That isn't very uncommon, how many miles do you have on your motor?? Later-T