boost leak tester

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
first: the turbo inlet and the exhaust turbine are separated by the CHRA (the guts of the turbo). that is where the seals and oil and bearings of the turbo are housed. it creates a seal between the compressor wheel and the exhaust turbine. therefore, you should never be getting air from the inlet mingling with or sneaking into the exhaust system THROUGH the turbo. the air pushed through the compressor inlet should circle around to the exhaust through the conventional route (inlet -> intercooler system -> throttle body/intake manifold -> cylinders -> exhaust).

2nd: it seems to me this test would be more useful in checking your charge piping for leaks. to do this, you would block the end of the 3000 pipe where it meets the throttle body. if you let the compressed air reach the throttle body, it will find ways to get out that will not necessarily be related to a boost leak (i.e. the pcv vent from the throttle body to the accordion hose). if you block at the throttle body, you will not be testing the vacuum system which originates at the intake manifold on the other side of the throttle body.

3rd: yes.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'll answer the First with........Think about it a little! Your intake is introduced to the motor through the same spot. If it were easy for that air to go to waste, how would your car ever be able to match your air with fuel? Your turbo inlet directs the air straight to the intercooler before it ever gets to the Throttle body.