Boost leak+gasket question

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
So I did a boost leak test by putting 15psi through my accordion hose today. I found multiple leaks: injectors, dipstick O-ring(popped and startled gurgling/spitting oil about 10 mins in of testing), and finally someplace behind my egr valve.. These leaks are enough for my air compressor gauge to read 0 psi after setting the regulator to 15psi.. So yeah these leaks are pretty bad!
The worst is the egr related leak by far. There's a quite distinct hiss that's pretty loud. I would actually upgrade this from a hiss to a small stream of air to be more accurate.. it's pissing out a good amount. Can't locate it either after feeling and soaking the area in soapy bubbles. Going to need a round 2 for this one..

I'm thinking it could be the egr gasket on the head or even the egr cooler on the back of the head, not sure.

What I'm going do is replace the gaskets with this roll of fel pro gasket sheet I have that's specified for oil/water/air. You trace the old gasket and cut out what you need.(with how my 7m is this stuff has saved me easily over $60 in the first couple of months I've owned it-yeah.. my 7m's been a BITCH!) On other parts of the engine it's worked brilliantly. The material is about 1.3mm thick.

I was wondering if the gasket composition is okay for this as I was under the impression that the EGR System sees hotter days, or do these gaskets need to be something more heat tolerable?

*UPDATE*
Thanks to Bio in flashhcat I learned the gaskets I were given in my gasket set for the EGR were not the bi metallic gaskets that should have been used, so this could very well be my issue...

Last edited:

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
dont test with the PCV system hooked up. disconnect and plug the lines, then try again!

the egr uses a metal gasket like exaust manifold gasket. if you had a roll of that it would work, or just use the high heat orange silicone to seal it.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
When doing the boost leak test I found the air leak stops when I pinch the vac hose coming off the TB in the pic below. When I'm doing this during a boost leak test wouldn't it mean air is going from the tb and flowing to the egr valve through that vac line, meaning it would be closing the valve seat in the egr valve? But that doesn't make sense to me because when I pinch the line the leak stops. ???

EC_016.gif

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Egr valve has nothing to do with boost leaks unless it's the flange on the top of the intake manifold. The egr gasket on the head would leak exhaust.

I would replace the intake gaskets, clean the old gasket off, if you want can throw a little bit of FIPG on it as well.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Zumtizzle;1771844 said:
I sold you an EGR Gasket From toyota when you did your rebuild. Why did you Dump it?!
That was just a tear down of the engine and replacing gaskets. Rebuild was much later down the road. TBH im not sure what gasket I used, I had a stone kit, I do not believe the stone head gasket kit comes with any egr valve or cooler gaskets.

stevenr816;1771884 said:
Egr valve has nothing to do with boost leaks unless it's the flange on the top of the intake manifold. The egr gasket on the head would leak exhaust.

I would replace the intake gaskets, clean the old gasket off, if you want can throw a little bit of FIPG on it as well.
I've felt everywhere and soaked the entire area, I'm confused because I've pinpointed the leak with my ears, its right in front of my nose, but I can't locate it with soapy water or feeling with my hand. This is a strong flowing leak.

When I pinch the vac line in the pic above off the TB it stops. Wondering if the leak could be in the egr valve itself.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Bri7man;1770839 said:
When doing the boost leak test I found the air leak stops when I pinch the vac hose coming off the TB in the pic below. When I'm doing this during a boost leak test wouldn't it mean air is going from the tb and flowing to the egr valve through that vac line, meaning it would be closing the valve seat in the egr valve? But that doesn't make sense to me because when I pinch the line the leak stops. ???

EC_016.gif

I'm really looking for someone who can explain why the leak stops when I pinch this vac hose.