boost gauge

spinner

Jan 3, 2009
Melbourne/melton
hi guys I have a mechanical boost gauge which read IN-Hg on bottom and PSI on top I hooked it up on my soarer Jzz30 when the car is on the boost gauge sits on 18 IN-Hg or -18 is that normal and when I drive it goes up should a boost gauge sit on zero or no

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Errr, maybe this wasn't the best place for it now that I think about it. If another mod has a better forum for this question, feel free to move it. Good luck with your question.

spinner

Jan 3, 2009
Melbourne/melton
yeah it dose on worm up it sits on about -18 to -20 when drive it goes up to dunno it frighting the cr•p outta me lol some say I'm running 10psi other say I'm running 14psi r who knows

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
get a quality gauge, i'd say. hit up defi, hks, greddy, or even autometer if you're close to an advance auto or auto zone

spinner

Jan 3, 2009
Melbourne/melton
Hey guys yeah I took it out it read 10 in Hg at non boost but when I hit boost this I don't understand she's stock and she hit 10psi and still going up all I have is a sports exhaust and a pod (cone) filter that's I don't understand why I read stuff and they say 1jz soarer are 7psi if I remmember

cmdeoro

VRROOOMMM!!!!!!.....PSSH!
Jan 21, 2009
Miami
18 to 20 is actually a perfect reading for idle. It only gonna measure boost, under boost.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Clip;1234547 said:
get a quality gauge, i'd say. hit up defi, hks, greddy, or even autometer if you're close to an advance auto or auto zone

Even Autometer? You know its the most popular aftermarket gauge used for decades? :biglaugh: They're definitely not some cheap throwaway, even if most of the models are basic looking. IMO all you're paying for with the more expensive GReddy, Defi, etc. gauges is the look.

slowpra na-t

Permanently Banned
Oct 16, 2008
murrieta ca
Orion ZyGarian;1249719 said:
Even Autometer? You know its the most popular aftermarket gauge used for decades? :biglaugh: They're definitely not some cheap throwaway, even if most of the models are basic looking. IMO all you're paying for with the more expensive GReddy, Defi, etc. gauges is the look.

yeah, there good but they need to update there style.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
you should be at ABOUT the 18-20inHg mark at idle... as your driving and your accelerating and decelerating, the vacuum will vary up and down. However when you accelerating, vacuum will decrease and pass the ZERO mark, and this is when the turbo begins building boost pressure. From there it will go up to whatever PSI you are currently running (depending on how much throttle you give it)

inHg = inches of mercury
PSI = pounds per square inch

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
autometer boost and autometer A/F on mine, its not the style of the guage, its the functionality and read-able-ness (thats a word right!)