Bolts under Centre Valley Gasket

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Hey peoples,
I have had an oil leak in the spark plug valley and recently swapped the centre valley gasket with four o-rings on the 14mm hex bolts...didnt see a point in spending $100AU for that piece of whatever it is....:icon_bigg
Ive managed to stop the oil leak from there BUT there is still some oil appearing after a little spirited driving...:3d_frown:

I have a feeling its not coming from the rocker seals or those 14mm bolts mentioned above, so does anyone know what the 14mm hex bolts (exactly the same as the ones mentioned above) in between the spark plugs are and whether I can take them out and see if there the problem?? You can just see the 3 of them in between the spark plugs in the picture....
retorque_9h.jpg

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
ahh ok...
so besides the rocker covers and the 14mm hex bolts, where else can this oil be coming from....? any ideas? otherwise i guess I should replace the rocker covers gaskets regardless of their condition...

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
The cam cover gaskets need a little dab of sealer on the front corners, or they will leak there even if new.

I don't trust o-rings on those plugs.
Seems like I looked at that when I did mine, and something didn't look right.
So I used sealer on mine, and they never leaked again.

You should also check the breather system, as they will clog up, allowing the crankcase pressure push oil out the weakest point.
I have seen old 7Ms with the chrome tube, the tube in the throttle body, and the breathers in the cam covers completely clogged.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
gofastgeorge;1420681 said:
The cam cover gaskets need a little dab of sealer on the front corners, or they will leak there even if new.

I don't trust o-rings on those plugs.
Seems like I looked at that when I did mine, and something didn't look right.
So I used sealer on mine, and they never leaked again.

You should also check the breather system, as they will clog up, allowing the crankcase pressure push oil out the weakest point.
I have seen old 7Ms with the chrome tube, the tube in the throttle body, and the breathers in the cam covers completely clogged.

Yeah the o-rings ended up squashing out the sides so I did it a lot slower and used a screwdriver to keep them in, although I used a gasket and some sealant for the bolt nearest to the back of the motor...
Good point!! I will take a look at tubes and the breathers.
cheers for the tips man! :icon_bigg