boiling water sound

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I had the same problem (it's a new car, and I near said myself because I thought it was a BHG (and a slow running oil leak I've got didn't ease my mind.)

I Checked my water levels and it was near empty. Topped off the water and I haven't heard the "boiling water" sound yet.

supra10

May 30, 2007
wisconsin
The symptoms of a BHG can many and varied. Other possible indicators are:

* A bubbling noise heard from behind the dashboard (air in the cabin heating system)
* Strange coloured slimy deposits on the inside of the oil filler cap
* Water in the sump
* Steam coming out of the exhaust
* Very discoloured radiator water
* Bubbling and/or foaming in the radiator or overflow bottle
* Misfiring or car refusing to idle
* Sudden loss of power (if driving when gasket blows)

Force Fed

Jun 12, 2007
Campobello, SC
Had the same thing in my RX-7 Turbo, until I bled the system properly. If you got white smoke though, you got a BHG. If you have air tools and good skills, you can pull the head in less than half a day easy. You need to take head to the machine shop to be checked for flatness though before reinstalling it, otherwise you very well blow another HG real quick.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
BHG for sure if there's no leak but you still lose coolant. Unless you have coolant in the carpet. Make sure to check that before you assume BHG. Also, the easiest way to burp a cooling system...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

supra10

May 30, 2007
wisconsin
today i lost all the coolant from the little container... where did it go??
plus my oil is dropping dramatically... im sad i dont know what to do!!! :(

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Sounds pretty bad:(. Since the head gasket is so bad, the coolant is going into the cylinder walls and sitting on top of the piston. Once you start the car (and I assume it idles very rough), the coolant will burn(cause white smoke) and come out of the exhaust. I had that problem with my JDM motor.

You are in milwaukee right? These next few weeks are going to be very very busy for me but if you need help I can try to help out if you need some help to get that Supra on the road again:).

supra10

May 30, 2007
wisconsin
plaaya69 said:
Sounds pretty bad:(. Since the head gasket is so bad, the coolant is going into the cylinder walls and sitting on top of the piston. Once you start the car (and I assume it idles very rough), the coolant will burn(cause white smoke) and come out of the exhaust. I had that problem with my JDM motor.

You are in milwaukee right? These next few weeks are going to be very very busy for me but if you need help I can try to help out if you need some help to get that Supra on the road again:).

thanks bro ill keep that in mind..... im not sure what im gonna do... but the most probable thing is getting a swap from the 7mgte...

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
i Am having a similar problem. waterfall sound from dash, no visible coolant leaks, new head with mhg. most coolant hoses new when replaced intake gaskets, rad replaced 5k ago along with cap( bought from toyota ). only thing i haven't changed is heater core, but carpets are dry. oil is clean and not milky, and coolant runs low every 6-7 days. car runs rich, so hard to tell if bhg by smoke due to feul management malfunction. working on replacement with aftermarket parts as soon as finances allow. any ideas?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
88mkiisupra: Do a pressure test and check for leaks. It could be the heater core, and the coolant is running out of the condensation drain for the a/c. It could just be a loose hose clamp, or one not seated correctly. The best thing to do is rent a pressure tester from the local A.Z., O'Rielly, Pep Boys, whatever, and test the system. I usually pressurize the system to around 15 p.s.i., and see if it holds. If it leaks down, listen very carefully for a hiss, or look for coolant or air bubbles.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
I was losing coolant as well, little by little. And I checked all the coolant hoses (atleast I thought I did), and then I looked at the hose that runs from the back of the motor and goes into the firewall, and boom! there was my leak, it was just dripping from the hose clamp. I fixed the hose and no more leak.....may not be the case for you but it was something I overlooked.

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
thanks for the ideas, i'll definitely have to recheck everything. dealing with my feul management problem has me a little stressed. everything was good till I changed the thermo and bled the system.

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
all hoses are good and tight and holding pressure, or at least it seems to be. Rebled the coolant system as described earlier in thread, and think my problem has been solved, or atleast it's stopped for the time being. now back to troubleshooting my fuel prob.

crosupra

Jun 28, 2006
Croatia
88mkiisupra said:
thanks for the ideas, i'll definitely have to recheck everything. dealing with my feul management problem has me a little stressed. everything was good till I changed the thermo and bled the system.

same problem here!!!

my car was running great, and then i changed thermostat...

now, my car losing coolant..

wtf?

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
crosupra said:
same problem here!!!

my car was running great, and then i changed thermostat...

now, my car losing coolant..

wtf?
did you bleed the coolant system? Also did you make sure the jiggle pin was at the top? I checked both of those and also let my car idle to see if I was leaking any coolant.

crosupra

Jun 28, 2006
Croatia
yes, i bleed the system, and the jiggle pin is at the top...

today, again 1L of coolant was missing... no white smoke, oil is clean, coolant is brown???