body molding questions

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
hey now. i have an 87 with crappy molding that needs to be replaced, pretty much all around. is the 89+ molding same as far as thickness and width. it seems like ive seen quite a few 89+ and even some pre 89 cars with molding that doesnt stick out as much as mine- which is wat i want. maybe its just me or maybe my molding is bubbled out worse than i thought.... i tried searching and it didnt reveal anything. any info??? thanks

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
It's a direct fit except for the center piece in the rear mid section. The pre 89 is thicker and heavier and has crappy metal clips that rust. 89+ is all plastic and very light. I've got a complete set waiting to go on my 86.5

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
aaahhhhh......so the front fenders r the same also??? i know my pre 89 has the rusted metal clips but wat holds on the 89+, double sided tape?
thanks guys, if anyone has a set of 89+ for sale, let me know. thats the route i wanna go now.

BudweiserJason8

Jun 21, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Im about to go out and buy a universal roll of body side moldings from the local auto parts store and stick that stuff on, i cant seems to locate any of the pieces that i need and finding a 89+ set is seemingly impossible

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
BudweiserJason8;951552 said:
Im about to go out and buy a universal roll of body side moldings from the local auto parts store and stick that stuff on, i cant seems to locate any of the pieces that i need and finding a 89+ set is seemingly impossible

My dad did that to his '85 Celica after he had it painted. Doesn't look bad.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
SupraOfDoom;932748 said:
Toyota. I've been trying to tell vendors to make some new flat styled trim for us for awhile but no one wants to...

I would seriously consider buying this if the cost wasnt too high.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, which makes me wonder why it hasn't been done. I see trim threads like every other week....

I talked to Shineauto, but they have to many projects going on. Maybe I can convince Nick to make carfasion do it.