Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
I have never powder coated anything in my life until today! I got my Eastwood hot coat system for Christmas! So 10 days ago for my bday I bought a sandblaster and experimented with glassbead blasting and now some media called amber blast fine..

Here is what I did today. The part is an oil cap that came from my scion tC. The oil cap had been chrome from AEM but had been chipping or something. I decided to do a black wrinkle on it.
After sandblasting attempt-
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Ready to spray!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

First coat didn't cover everything :/
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Second coat was much better!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Final pics of my first powder coated part!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I am looking to get a bigger oven asap! One that can fit my wheels that are 19 1/2" tall. I plan on powder coating a lot of stuff once I get an oven and order new colors!

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Lookin good, I also have a home powder coating system, very fun and addicting to powdercoat anything you see!

I just have a basic oven in my garage, we fit 16x9 wheels in it before but that was pushing it!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Got tired of the wrinkle black so I played with mirror black and chrome!
Honestly wasn't trilled with how the wrinkle black turned out but hey it was the very first thing I coated..

Second thing I coated:
Mirror black
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Then super chrome over the black
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I'm loving the colors there

I have been working on my alternator bracket too lately, have been sanding out all the grain to make it smooth, man it takes forever :: angry ::

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Looking good. I love powdercoating things. My kit is different than yours though. I bought the one Summit sells. The chrome looks pretty good, but it's not like chrome.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
IBoughtASupra;1499954 said:
Where did you get your sand balster? How much was it total? I am looking for one for our shop.
My media cabinet was like $120 from Tractor Supply. Different places sell similar ones. It's def a badass tool!

Finished up tonight
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is the rattle can black from before sandblasting.... :/
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So I did some things today to my Supra! I'm feeling lots of love towards it lately!
Bracket before:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Brackets after:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Then after some powder coating I decided to put my under engine cover on.... After 3 years of it collecting dust in the attic!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And a final shot of my powder coated radiator brackets... They had minor imperfections.. I was kinda pissed but ohwell!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Nice work there

What did you use on the upper alternator bracket? I've been chipping away at mine but still not entirely decided on what to do with it surface finish wise

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
That is just rattle can from back when I did my rebuild. I am powder coating them soon. Can't decide the color theme I wanna go with in the engine bay. Learning towards gloss black or flat black, silver, or chrome. Or paint matched powder coat

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I like the silver

I am leaning towards ceramic coating mine but I may get it chrome plated, its a realy pain to get it nice and smooth as I am sure you would have found out

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Yea it's a great tool! Very fun to make old parts look brand new. My dryer for my air compressor should be here today. I needed one to completely remove the water from my compressed air supply. Water+sandblasting/powdercoating= bad results and or work stopping all together!