Blue Devil sealant?

skim1040

work in progress
Do any of you guys have any experience with the "Blue Devil engine and coolant sealant"?
Does it work well?
and tips?
How much did you use?
I have a minor leak in my radiator and am in desperate need of a quick fix for it.
The stuff is a bit expensive, but if it works and will hold me over for the weekend thats all I need!:1zhelp:

resize

Thanks in advance for any help guys!
-Skim

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
The stuff works. The drawback is it wreaks havoc on the engine seals and anything that gets coolant and oxygen together. If you have no future plans for the engine, go for it. If you like your engine, get a radiator.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It will seal it all right...in places you don't want it to. It is going to trash your coolant system and be hell to get out when (if) you rebuild the motor.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
jdub, the pushrods and lifters I saw after this product was used were not reusable after a real repair. GM 3.1 intake manifold leak. The guy run the BD for 6 months with no leak but was getting a terrible tap/knock.

skim1040

work in progress
Ewww...doesn't sound like a good idea then.

But, I NEED some way to temporarily seal it for the weekend. I have a 300 mile drive on Sunday, and after that I can get a new radiator. Until then, I need some sort of temporary solution.
JB weld the crack?
I've already tried the aluminum flake crap in a bottle, and that slowed the leak...

Or. What if I were to use this just for the weekend. Put it in the system, get where I need to be and switch out radiators and properly flush everything. Too late?

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Once air starts the chemical reaction there is no ending it. I dont think there is any amount of flushing that will remove this stuff. My advice is not to drive the car until radiator is replaced.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Solder it. If you can get epoxy on there you can solder it.

Btw there are very few things in life you "have to do". Not only that but being on the side of the road with a blown coolant system (and possibly warped head) midway at 150 miles would suck a lot more more than not being there on time....

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Sure, you can try anything you like. I have never seen any of the epoxies/JB Weld hold for more than warm up time on radiators. 300 miles is a long drive on a damaged and failing coolant system.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
^ Old school. Works. Hold the bacon though ;)

I'm confused. He has to go Sunday and tonight is Friday. Go to the auto store tomorrow, get a new rad, and install it. Problem solved. Maybe it's me but it shouldn't take a day to change a radiator or two days to drive 300 miles...

skim1040

work in progress
The problem is not having enough time to get/put in a new radiator

and getting back up to school late is not an option. I miss any classes monday I get dropped

I doubt I will have any time tommorow due to a friends wedding which i'm apart of. I'm picking him up (not in my car) early morning and setting things up with him all day, followed by the wedding, then reception on into the night. No time tommorow
Sunday, the junkyard is closed so I have no way to get a radiator, but I do have a bit of time to work on it. Possible soldering? Can I use lead solder? or do I need some particular solder?
:(

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
CTsupra;1063945 said:
Haha, what?? No..

Yes it is true. I have seen it done before. Messy as hell but will get you out of the woods so to speak. Will only work on older (pre 75) radiators though. I think the smaller row, like in the Supra, would stop the egg in the tanks.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
jetjock;1063948 said:
^ Old school. Works. Hold the bacon though ;)

Kckazdude;1063952 said:
Yes it is true. I have seen it done before. Messy as hell but will get you out of the woods so to speak. Will only work on older (pre 75) radiators though. I think the smaller row, like in the Supra, would stop the egg in the tanks.

:rofl: News to me, guys! Interesting.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Throw some sawdust in there, that will seal it up. If your differential starts whining, or your transmission, throw some sawdust in those, too! LOL

^That's a joke, by the way... Just wanted to throw it out there. My dad always told me to watch for that when buying older stuff. (sawdust in the differential(s), transmissions, etc...);)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
For rad leaks oatmeal has been known to work too ;)

Skim, some advice from beyond: First, there's no such thing in life as not enough time, there are only priorities. Considering the big picture passing on the reception should be a no-brainer. Second, never permit your emotions to overrule your intellect.

Forget junkyards. Buy a new rad early morning and put it in after the ceremony. That'll take an hour at most. Hell, you might even make the reception. For soldering drain the radiator and clean the area down to bare metal. Buy some plumbing solder and flux. Use a propane torch. This will work only on copper or brass though. For aluminum you'll need different stuff.