blown turbo? or worse?

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
ok so my engine started making a strange noise, its like a light ticking/knocking noise and it only does it when i get RPMs above 2.5k ish and up. and it only does it when i accelerate. When i hold the revs steady at say 4k it sounds normal, but when i give it gas it makes the sound again, and it goes away when the revs drop. there is also oil leaking from the turbo and when i checked the lower IC pipe there was a lot of oil in it. (i realize oil from the turbo is a redflag, i stopped driving the supra lately)

there is also smoke coming from my turbo side of the engine and its def. not coolant being burned. and lately my boost gauge has only been reading 5-6 psi instead of 7ish.

mods: full exhaust, spearco intercooler, hks bov, K&n filter

sorry if this was long, but i rather give u guys all the info i could to explain my problem. any advice is much appreciated!

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
I'll give it a shot. The light ticking/knocking does not sound like its related to your turbo issues. That unfortunately sounds like rod-knock. Also ticking and knocking are pretty different sounds. Which is it? And can you tell if its coming from the bottom or top end?

The turbo issue sounds like its seals are shot or major blow-by or something?

I dunno but there is my "ur guess is completely wrong" answer lol.

Hopefully someone comes in and either seconds my suspicion or owns me for being a dumbass.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Could it be injector ticking? Mine was doing that, then got alot worse, because it was a gasket on my turbo, and it blew out worse as I drove it. Mine wouldn't spool over 5 psi either...Feel under your heat shield and see it there is air blowing under there...Dont burn your arm though...lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Start up the car, pop the hood, and pull off the oil cap. If you get lots of steam / smoke / anything pouring out of there, you've got engine problems that would explain the oil in the pipes / IC / turbo inlet. In that case you need a compression check - or better yet, a leak down check.

The knock does sound like a fair description of rod knock.

The smoke from the exhaust side must be something leaking... valve cover gaskets are the most likely.