blowing tail fuse tried everything HELP!!

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
hey everyone my problem is that when i turn my headlights on my tail fuse blows. the click right before the headlights it blows the fuse as well. the click before that the fuse does not blow. so i hooked up a voltmeter and what ever i unplug it keeps reading 12 volts. ohh its a 88 manual turbo if that helps

-the head lights, turn signals, high beams, emergency, brake lights (when i press the brake) and fogs all works.

-on the dash, the brake, high beam, check engine, and heater control lights all work. the fog, cruise, and defroster switch light work as well

-interior lights like the over head, door, trunk lights work ohh and the radio works

-ive unplugged all the electrical for the brakes, reverse lights, brake light indicator, and trunk light.

-i checked the wiring diagrams and ive unplugged everything there. cigarette lighter, glove box light, defogger switch, fog light switch, hazard, and i took out the radio wiring and the radio.

-i even checked the tail light relay even if it was before the fuse.

-checked all the bulbs in the instrument panel

-unplugged the heater control and its manual so theres no auto shifter lights

-unplugged the turn signals and side markers

-checked the retractor relay and the harness for continuity and it all checked out good.

-checked brake light switch, clutch switch

-unplugged all the dash connections

-unplugged the ecu and the wires next to the ecu lol just because to be safe.

and everything i unplugged i couldnt get the volt meter to not read 12 volts except the relay and the headlight retractor control relay but i dont think that means anything because i think its just taking away the 12 volts from the system.

ive been working on it for like 2 weeks.

PLEASE HELP IM GOING CRAZY :aigo:

Last edited:

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
no i just unplugged everything that connects to the 'tail' 15amp fuse and watched my dvom to see if it would not read 12v but what ever i unplug it always reads 12v. pretty new at this whole finding a short thing. am i doing it right. i read on the tsrm to connect a test light in place of the fuse. i figured a dvom would do the same, just read out the volts coming from it.

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
lol that was the best way i could explain it. ohh and i finally figured out that i was doing it wrong so i plugged everything back in and it works now. but before i did that i removed a blown side marker bulb because it was blown so im guessing it was that because thats the only thing different i did. i cant believe i went through all of that for something so simple. or im guessing it was that.