Blowing smoke :-(

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
Whenm decelerating or engine braking I blow blue smoke, stock turbo all I have is a front mount and a boost controller, any ideas why this would happen?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Thats a typical sign of valve guides or valve stem seals being bad. Does it smoke at all first thing in the morning when you start it up?
Since the intake valve guides and seals are under vacuum while you are engine braking, it can suck oil through bad seals or worn guides and cause blueish smoke on decel.

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
can i buy performance valve stem seals or valve guides some where? i only have 2000 miles on this motor :( the heads noisy

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Nosiey head would be valve lash.

How old is the turbo. Also sounds like a bad turbo seal.

Valve stem seals usually smoke on cold start up.

Just use normal valve stem seals.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes. Have to measure the gap. Remove the shim and add/subtract the amount you are off the the size of the shim thats in there. That amount will be the new shim that needs to be in there.

Thought i posted the link but must have forgotten
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=8

Thjis work sheet makes it easy too.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/isnms/Supra/valveclearanceworksheet.gif

Also best to measure everything. take the cams out. measure all the shims. Figure out the size of the new shim and reinstall the cams and check your clearances. vs pulling the cams in and out only doing a couple at a time.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. Catch can is for the pcv system.

You have a problem that needs to be addressed. Id also check your oil level.

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
oil level is fine, valve seals should still be good im almost wondering if the total runout of my valve shaft isnt to spec anymore or of the guides arnt either

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
valve seals, rings, turbo. those are the areas i would look into. do a compression and leak down test. read your plugs. i would think that if it was turbo seal the oil is spraying into the exhaust not the combustion chamber. i could be wrong on this but i would reason that if the oil in in the combustion chamber(without having oil in your intercooler or pipes) then that rules out the turbo seal. the next thing would be to determine whether its valve or ring issue(compression test). if i am wrong about the turbo thing someone please explain why. thanks, hope that helps.