blower quit on me

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
Hey, my heater blower quit working the other day. I have no idea why, here is some things I have checked.

the reset fuse behind the drivers kick panel
the climate control box
checked for other related fuses but found nothing.

What else can I check?

Edit:Ok, I think it's the blower itself. Does anyone know if the blower motor out of a cressida is the same? I know our cars share parts with them. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
I didn't even know there were resistors there. How would I check them, and eliminate the blower itself as the cause?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Try different speeds. The resistors usually fry the lower speeds first, so the max speeds might still work. If this is the case, the resistor pack is definitely fried. If none of them work, the resistors still might be fried, but you would have to pull them out to check.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
mine went last winter... sort of...
there's a flat spot on the armature somewhere on my motor. you can hear it at slow speeds, the motor will lightly click....

well, one day i was racing an STi on the highway (beat him!! :D ) and the motor quit right then. windshield started fogging up.. jesus.. rolled the windows down and got pissed at how cold it was. grabbed a screwdriver out of the backseat and gave the motor a good smack. fired right up.

solution: hit it with something solid. kicking it does not work. i figured that out. hit it with the handle of a screwdriver and see if that works. worked for me lol

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
thanks, i'll try the smacking thing. The blower doesn't work at any fan speed, any temp setting, recirculating or fresh air setting, etc. It's probably fried.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
OK...for some REAL help, I'll tell you what to do, NOT what happened to me last summer at band camp !!!!!!!!!!

I'll write it as if you are a noob (tho you may not be, but some reading this will be).

My experience has been that the resistor does not completely fail, only 1-2 of the coils, and high speed won't unless the fan motor fails first. (5 years Toy dealer)

OK... so...you already checked the fuse.

Get to the fan motor electric connector plug (by removing whatevers needed) and disconnect it from the fan motor. Using a test light, clip the 'alligator' end to a good ground (usually a body screw will do).

Test that the light works at 'that' ground by now touching a 'known' good power source, like maybe the cigar lighter with the key to 'on' (so all the dash indicator lights are on). Turn your heater on like you want to use it on high fan. Then poke the 'ice pick' end of the test light into one of the 2 connector ends on the fan motor plug (I'm not looking in diagram, so I don't know the wire colors). One will be the 'hot' end. Did not light the tester ??? Then poke it into the other wire connector. ONE of them should light the tester. No ??? Then test the resistor.

The resistor is mounted into the ducting box, just below the glove box. You will see it from passenger floor. Its approx. 3"x2" with big plug. Remove plug and test all the connectors in the plug. One of them Not lighting the test light ??? Then power is not getting that far, and you will have dig around in the TSRM for further testing back up the system.

Also, as mentioned by above post-er, the low speed resistor is what usally goes bad. It can be repaired. I recently (last 2 weeks) layed that out for someone in another thread.

PS. soccer balls are for kicking, not expensive car parts !!! :biglaugh:

kaz87supra

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2005
Owasso OK
it is the blower motor, ive had it happen to 2 of my supras. mine quit last week.

as for it being the resister pack, well you can unplug that dood and the blower will still run in high.

autozone usually stocks our blower for around 60bux.

-Adam

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
I am not a complete noob, been working on cars for about 15 years, just never cars this complicated, as I was/am into classics. As I've said before, my blower will not work on any speed/setting, so I will test the resistor first, but I think Im going to be buying a new motor.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
PS. soccer balls are for kicking, not expensive car parts !!!

i told him NOT to kick it!!!
just tap it lightly. it's a lot easier than diagnosing if it's getting power, if that happens to work...

and since when is $60 expensive?

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
Alright, got it fixed, it was the motor. By the way, I didn't kick/beat it, just put the new one in and it worked. Oh, and I got a brand new (not reman) lifetime warranty motor from autozone for 54.99. I just had to play autozone and schucks against each other for a lower price. Thanks for the help guys

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
It is a good thing to get a couple of prices, then go into the store and say...
"hey, I'm here now! so can you beat so-n-so's price or what" ??

If you are only asking a few bucks less, they will do it to get your business, and keep you coming back. Repeat business is what they all want.