Blower Doesn't work on MED or HI..HELP!

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Alright now that it's been getting cold I figured I'd get my heat working that hasn't worked since I purchased the car. The heater core was bad in it so that needed replaced, I did that and had nothing on any speed.

I tested continuity of the resistor and it didn't show any so I replaced the resistor, after doing that i got the blower working but on low only and it barely blows.

I've tested the relay it's good applied direct power to the blower motor itself and it turns like it should on high, swapped in a known working climate control din from a buddies supra, checked all fuses I'm stuck I cannot figure out how to get my med and hi speeds. Also I know my vsv is bad but that wont effect motor speed and I have direct vac to the valve so I am getting heat just only on low. Any input would be great I'd love to get this working completely:1zhelp:.

The thing I've come down too is after looking at the hvac diagrams is that there is a blower control switch between the din control and the resistor, maybe that's bad but where is it located? Will I have to pull my dash again to find that?

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Guyana00;1186279 said:
This is pretty common, should have come up in a search.

http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=56

I've read and searched and have read that as well, that seems to be the only thing that comes up. I'm getting low but not med or high and my resistor is 100% brand new not even a week old and still shows continuity.

I guess another thing I could add is that when I do try to select med or high the motor continues to blow on low, it doesn't cut off but its like I have 3 low speeds:3d_frown:.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Any ideas guys? I'm at a standstill. I also want to add that the air mix control servo motor isnt functioning properly I dunno if it is a dual purpose motor and helps control blower speed as well in our cars but i only get it through the top vents, barely out of the defrost and some at the feet, but I cannot control that either.

Last edited:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
OK... let's start eliminating things here.

Start with the blower motor itself. You said you gave it direct power and it spins fine right?

Now... grab your voltmeter and disconnect the harness that the blower motor connects to. Check for voltage coming into the blower motor while changing the fan speed at the climate control. Check voltage at low, medium, and high. If you see no difference in the voltages... then the blower seems fine and I would look at the next piece of the puzzle.

FYI: 999 times out of 1000 if you have one fan speed that doesn't work and at least one that does work... you have a clear issue with the resistor pack (coiled wire thingy).

My problem was that I had no fans at any setting. My blower motor was shot.

Take this down to the most simple problem.

Fans not changing speed does not matter if you are passing heat or cold.

Run the test above and post up your results before we go any further.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
If you're sure the resistors or coils aren't at fault or the blower itself. Maybe it's the control mechanism. Try someone else's and you could confirm or eliminate that.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Sorry I haven't updated in a while I garaged the car for the winter and figured I'd leave the issue for me later, but it looks like I have some wire chasing to do. I swapped in a known good working cc unit and that unit acts the same way mine did as if it were shorted out. Sounds too me like I have a high current draw somewhere within the circuit that the unit isn't liking much and shorting units out.