Birthing a new monster MK3...

GeneSplicer

Jul 21, 2009
Alabama
Well, thought I'd introduce myself... and my MK3! I bought the car last fall rough running, blown exhaust gasket and nasty yellow paint job. I had full intentions on yanking the engine and starting a fresh rebuild and that's where I am today.

This spring I finally brought the car home and pulled the engine/trans. The block and head are currently at a local machinist who builds monster V8's for offshore racing boats... we're gonna take it 20over (hopefully) as there was some cylinder wall wear in #6.

I handed him some +1mm crower valves (intake and exhaust) for him to machine the head too... once done there, supernatural turbo here in Birmingham, will be taking over with the re-assembly and manufacture of the intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo and plumbing.

Anyway, really been fighting back buying a $3000 miata to take to Barber's motorsports park for some fun track days... I really need to save the money for the standalone... and gobs of other stuff to reach the power level we're going for.

We're going for a solid 800 at the wheels will all the good stuff. Crower/custom Weiscos rod/piston setup (coated), 272 crower cams and the +1mm OS valves with new springs and retainers, RC1000 injectors, ARP all through, fidanza cam gears, Custom Garret T67 (or somewhere around there) with a CR of 9:2/9:3 on the engine, AEM or Motec stand alone.... somethings are obviously still fluid, but Turbos knows their stuff so we'll find something that works well!

Haven't decided on a clutch flywheel setup... but I'm leaning more toward putting the car on the track so that'll change some things esp when it comes to repsonse (partially why we're goiing with a higher CR than normal) and suspension.

I'm still learning so look for me browsing around for info! And yes, the paint scheme is currently being re-done... metallic dark silver with a carbon fiber inlay on the factory hood raised 'cowl'... I've got Shine's specB body kit with whale fin... pretty much like one of the guys at shine w/the white MK3 and carbon hood.

So far all I have is a 2-girl push-type motor!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Yeah....good luck. It is going to be a beast ! Deffinetely change that yellow colour....
and yes the dark Silver colour will look awesome!