Bilsteins blown?

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
I purchased a set of bilsteins for the front of my supra and they came in today. First thing I did was remove one of them from the boxes and tested to see how stiff they would be. To my surprise I put about 80 pounds of pressure on the shock and it already started to compress! I tried the other shock out and same thing happened to that one too! Did these shocks come in blown or is this just how bilsteins work? I got the HD shocks I think there called. The ones that are ride height adjustable. And I purchased them from tirerack.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
All shocks do that. The spring handles the compression, while the shock simply dampens the compression/rebound of the spring. If the shock compressed and rebounded instantly, then it might be blown. Otherwise, they are fine.

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
yes i purchased the front pair brand new. so you guys are saying this is normal? after compressing the shock it does come up slowly. And I also thought to myself "what are the chances of both my bilsteins coming in blown" not to mention there one of the best quality shocks ever made. I'm just going to try installing them and see what happens.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've only seen one blown bilstein... and it was from abuse (jumping a truck off a 6 foot drop and bottoming out the shock internally causing it to break)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
they're supposed to compress, they aren't springs..

My buddys 2 front billsteins are blown.. they have 0 rebound dampening, you hit a bump and the front end shoots up..

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
As adampecush said, shocks only serve to prevent the springs from oscilliating (sp?) out of control during suspension operation... the spring supports the car and takes the bumps.

Sounds perfectly normal that you're able to push them in with only 80lbs of force.

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Thats the way they are supposed to be. Ive never blown a Bilstein but I've broken one somehow..
p992994_1.jpg

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Yeah, you can totally compress shocks. Some are a little harder than others, but theres nothing wrong with these. Put then in, you're done

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
Yea I had a friend come by and he said that it was normal for the shock to compress like that too. Installed them and the car drives great! No more tire hitting inner fender well on hard turns or if there is a slight dip in the road.:icon_bigg

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
figgie;992925 said:
well hell,

bilsteins are rebuildable AND can customize the valving at that point if you really really want and can afford it :)

Two years ago, when I checked, to rebuild and valve one shock would be 50$per. plus shipping.

Luckily they are really close to my house.

Matt-