Bilstein Coilovers

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
A little over a year ago, we decided that my brother's supra needed a better suspension that blown stock stuff. I decided that the best solution would be to put something together myself. I'm not too impressed with any of the off the shelf stuff except the stuff that's priced through the roof, so putting together my own setup seemed like the best idea.

I used Bilsteins because of their reputation and I am very impressed. I measured the car, geometry, weights, etc and calculated the spring rates and valving that I wanted to run on the car. I based this on how I wanted the car to handle, how much I wanted the suspension to move and a bunch of other parameters.

The setup is currently using 1000lb/in springs in the front and 600lb/in springs in the back. The setup is very neutral with stock sway bars. I valved the dampers for stiff performance in the low-speed handling region of the dyno curves and valved them to be softer in the high-speed region. The amount of force in the high speed region determines how the car will ride because most of the harshness from the road makes the damper move at higher speeds, but low amplitudes. I think the car feels amazing, very predictable and very well behaved. It's been tested on the road course at Pocono and been to several drift events and works very well for both.

Some valving changes could be made to suit different drivers and styles. And the damper could be stiffer without compromising any ride quality. And since it's more work to take the damper off the car than to revalve the thing, I still like to mess with the valving when I feel the need.

Anyway, enough about that, here are some pics of the setup.

DSC00250.JPG

The shocks and accessories as they arrived.

DSC00256.JPG

They ship from bilstein with nothing but the piston. No shims, no oil, no gas.

DSC00257.JPG

One of the shocks on the dyno.

DSC00260.JPG

In the middle of a revalve.

DSC00303.JPG

The shocks all put together. I'm using helper springs in the rear to get the car to sit the way I want, but not in the front anymore. I shortened the shafts to get the car to sit lower and they aren't needed anymore.

DSC00291.JPG

The fronts mounted on the car. It's an old picture and the setup has slightly changed since then. Like I said below the last picture, no more helper spring in the front.

IMG_0557.JPG

Here is how the car sits now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeByCoXpB3A
Video of the car at a drift event.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wiisass
There's some other video from Pocono on there, but nothing where you can really see how the car behaves in the corners.

As always, these things are always in development. They get revalved if the weight of the car changes much. So they will get totally worked over once the cage is put in and spring rates might even change, we'll see.

I'm also working on a similar setup using Bilstein OE replacements and stock upper mounts for another car. They're going to be using threaded aluminum sleeves for spring height adjustment and they will be valved to match the car and whatever spring rates I decide to run with this other car. I can't wait to get these done, it should cut out a lot of the little problems I ran into with the shocks that are on my brother's car.

Tim

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Looks good. I'm pretty impressed that you did that all yourself. Did you revalve your shocks at your work yourself or did you take them to a shop?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Very cool. If you don't mind my asking what did the supplies run you? I realize this isn't something anyone can do in their garage... so what would the valving and tuning cost as well?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Supplies started adding up, I'm not sure what the total ended up at. There was a lot of startup stuff that I didn't end up even needing to use. That yellow box in the one of the pics was full of different piston shims, and most of them are still in that box. I just needed a big assortment so I could figure out which shims I needed to get the damping curves I wanted. And now I have spare springs lying around that may or may not get used and stuff like that.

Tim

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
WOW just WOW great job man.The car looks like in handles well balanced.ummm also what esle do you have in the car cause I'm leaning more for handleng than power.I know you said you were going to be useing stock sway bars.good job man

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Right now, it's stock everything besides these and adjustable endlinks that I made last year. I'm going to start designing the suspension arms for the front so I can get rid of the sloppy bushings. And one of my good friends is the guy who originally designed the A1 rear arms, so we're going to work on the rear arms as well.

But for now, it's just old, crappy bushings, this setup and adjustable sway bar endlinks. Oh, and new tie rods with spacers to get a little more steering angle.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
wish i knew half a tit about suspension... i just bought some HKS coilovers, slapped them on... I have no idea why i bought rear trac bars because I dont know how to have them setup and no one around here seems to know eaither.

Mr. Sinister

Aug 30, 2005
Chicago
fiyota said:
why would you buy them if you didn't know how it would affect the car, or how to set them up properly? :3d_frown:

He didn't say he doesn't know how they affect the car (the name itself is self-explanatory), he said he didn't know how to set them up. Some of us buy parts just in case we may want to use them later. Especially good deals or rare parts.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I've been following your discussions over on SF and have pointed quite a few to that area. I would like to follow suit one day - even though the a70 is a fat pig, with a little work its still a great handling (and riding) car.

Thanks for sharing.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
D34DC311 said:
Thats awesome. Never seen something like this before. Is that your shop or??

That was part of the shop I was working out of when I was at school. I did the whole formula SAE thing and that was part of the stuff we had. And I was the shock guy, so the dyno was mine for a whole year and I took full advantage of it. Right now I have access to a dyno at a local circle track place, but it's nothing like having my own. Which is in the works right now. It's too much of a pain in the ass to drive over there and run the shocks on the dyno if I'm making a change or want to see what a change will look like. Once the setup is ready to go on the market, which is going to be very soon, I will be figuring out the finances for buying a shock dyno.

Bwest, thanks. The supra isn't that bad. My brother and I were able to get his to 3022 the last time it was on the scales. It was missing a couple things, but still on sawblades and stock suspension and had some extra stuff inside that we have taken out since then. So it's hovering right around the 3000 mark, and that's without spending any real money on weight reduction.

Now let me ask you guys, and I hope I'm not stepping over any bounds, but would you be interested in a setup like this? More likely one using OE replacement Bilsteins but revalved and with whatever springs you wanted or I thought would work best with your car.

Mr. Sinister

Aug 30, 2005
Chicago
Wiisass said:
Now let me ask you guys, and I hope I'm not stepping over any bounds, but would you be interested in a setup like this? More likely one using OE replacement Bilsteins but revalved and with whatever springs you wanted or I thought would work best with your car.

lol. It'll be the same as everything else with the MKIII crowd: cost.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Wiisass said:
Bwest, thanks. The supra isn't that bad. My brother and I were able to get his to 3022 the last time it was on the scales. It was missing a couple things, but still on sawblades and stock suspension and had some extra stuff inside that we have taken out since then. So it's hovering right around the 3000 mark, and that's without spending any real money on weight reduction.

I was indicating those cars (mine included) that are dedicated street cars with things like A/C, stock seats (front and rear, of course) and sound deadening material...etc

Race prepped cars are a whole other thing....:icon_bigg

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Thats awesome, if i had a shock dyno, i would have built my own also. But instead i went Megan because i thought they would handle me good and they have. Perhaps one day down the road when i've expanded my practice will i then create my own coilovers! Where'd you do the "forumal SAE" at?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
bwest said:
I was indicating those cars (mine included) that are dedicated street cars with things like A/C, stock seats (front and rear, of course) and sound deadening material...etc

Race prepped cars are a whole other thing....:icon_bigg

Oh well, then yeah, they're heavy. But you can't lose weight without some sacrifice. But even at stock weight, it can still be setup to handle very well. You're just dealing with more mass. But it still can be controlled. But it will grip enough that you'll need to put something more supportive in for seats. And then you'll lose a good bit of weight.

Grimsta, I did formula at Virginia Tech.