Big single upgrade!

Fd_daderp

Feb 27, 2009
Miami
I'm going with a big single turbo on my 1j mk3, and I'm going with the Garrett gt40. Just wondering what's a good manifold and wastegate to join the setup?

Just was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. And who better to ask then my fellow supra owners.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
heyy i fellow south florida owner! Like andy said tial and hks are good wastegates, for the manifold you could try raptor racing they made a few manifolds not sure if they still have. Driftmotion is also another good place to check.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The DM manifold is okay. It is not really the greatest. You have to modifiy it to work properly. The runners drop to low and won't clear the exhaust manifold studs and what not. This is being said from experience. Your best best is to get a drewgo manifold BUT that is no longer available, so you will have to find it used. If you decide on the DM manifold be ready to modify it to work. I am not one who would change from the stock Toyota exhaust studs to some shorter one to have a manifold work which is what the DM one requires you to do.

For the wastegate, the Tial or HKS are very good wastegates. They take abuse very well and stand up to use under harsh environments like road racing or drag racing. There are Turbosmart wastegates but I haven't tried any of them. The new Tial and HKS wastegates are V-Band which are a plus.

I am not sure if you know but I am a vendor on the forums. I will be looking into making a 1JZ manifold but I will to know what the interest. Maybe I will even offer up a service to have the EBay style 1JZ and 2JZ manifolds modified to keep the price down and make their fitment perfect.

Fd_daderp

Feb 27, 2009
Miami
Thanks guys, yea the tial wastegates have been highly recommended so far, so I think that's the route I will take.. I was lookin into the DM manifolds but I dunno if I really wanna do the modification required

@ ibroughtasupra, I am interested about a manifold, lookin to make purchase sometime in march...

Thanks again guys!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is also precision wastegates which are the tial style.

What exhaust housing are you running on the gt40? Could be a bit laggy on the 1j.

Fd_daderp

Feb 27, 2009
Miami
@ hvyman, true about the laggy part, and that's actually one of my biggest concerns. I was going with a .84 back housing. Will it still be laggy?
Or do u think the gt35 will be a better option? (ballbearing)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Also a bigger divided manifold and housing will spool faster than a smaller non divided combo.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I'm running a PTE 46mm wg, drewgo mani, BW91-79 with a pretty big undivided T4 housing. Its laggy but that bad and well worth it.
Go with the 40r, thats a little smaller than what I'm running and I see full boost ~4600rpm (Standalone, cams, e85,etc)

Ebay manifolds are great, most of the time they wont give you any problems, "DM" buys ebay manifolds and marks them up..just go directly through ebay.
I would also recommend the PTE WG, very reasonable cost wise and performs with out and complaints.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Think it all depends in which one as there are a couple different ones. You can see which ones dm sells by looking at the pics.

Fd_daderp

Feb 27, 2009
Miami
Weeelllll just to update this post, today I'm made my first purchase for my big single setup.... I got the precision 6266 turbo! :-D

Still shoppin for manifold....

Fd_daderp

Feb 27, 2009
Miami
Good quality, even tho I haven't heard anything negative about the eBay, beside the modification that has to be done in order for it to work..

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Fd_daderp;1809950 said:
I got the precision 6266 turbo! :-D

Still shoppin for manifold....

What turbine housing did you get?

If you got an undivided T4 look for a drewgo, they're still around. Kaizen had one for sale recently, but some lucky SOB got it.:icon_bigg

Last edited: