BHG within a week? :(

s!ke

JDM Tyte Yo!
Jun 17, 2006
San Jose, California
So, I just recently rebuilt my entire 7mgte motor, and now I am having a BHG scare.

I have an HKS 1.2mm MHG on there so I wasn't worried about it, but I am meeting a few of the bhg criteria.

- Losing coolant/water slowly and often
- Sound of water gurgling in the tailpipe / muffler
- Waterfall / air bubble sounds behind climate control (heater core?)
- Unfamiliar exhaust smells after running the car for some time.

Any thoughts? Should I just shoot myself in the head? Should I just blow up my supra?

1jz ftw?

s!ke

JDM Tyte Yo!
Jun 17, 2006
San Jose, California
I don't know what you mean...

I torqued it correctly (in sequence 40, 60, 75, 85, 90 etc.)
I warmed it up and revved it when i first started the engine.
I had the block and head decked to make it ultra smooth.

?

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
did you remember to use a head gasket? lol jp. the gurgling sound is air in the heater core. unless your overheating, have milky oil, brown oily coolant, and smoking you dont have a bhg
-Steve

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
crrider80 said:
did you remember to use a head gasket? lol jp. the gurgling sound is air in the heater core. unless your overheating, have milky oil, brown oily coolant, and smoking you dont have a bhg
-Steve

With a metal headgasket, it doesn't usually suddenly blow like a stock gasket. It will sometimes seep enough pressure under boost to over pressurize the cooling system. Then the overflow bottle fills up and the engine starts to overheat.

But before you decide to pull the 7m out, make sure you don't just have a small coolant leak somewhere.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
purchase a block check kit from napa and pop your rad cap and warm up the car, test,

put cap back on, boost, then re-test, careful under pressure use a towel, and if test fails both times then your more so lookign at a coolant leak then a head gasket issue,

s!ke

JDM Tyte Yo!
Jun 17, 2006
San Jose, California
When I had the block decked I did have that do that little piece on the back yes.

And I dont remember what number I torqued it to, whatever the TSRM said was the correct torque. I was just showing you an example of the steps I took. I used ARP bolts, not studs.

And I put permatex on each side of the gasket.

And I knew you would be jealous of those rims fasha.

I havent run the car hard at all which is why I am confused, but I am having so many symptoms. I am still learning so thats why I wanted to ask you experts.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
I think you have to retorque bolts after heat cycling them. For studs your supposed to torque/retorque 3-4x before you start your engine to ensure the studs hold proper torque.

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
Just had mine done with a titan 2mm mhg torqued down to 95fpt. I was also worried by more gurgling noises behind the dash. I have put in a bit more coolant and all seems well at the moment. One you have had bhg you just assume it's happened again.
I would be very worried if you have put stock torque on a metal gasket tho.