bhg repair...isnt the horse dead??

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Sorry if it seems stupid but Ive been searching all day and have been reading conflicting awnsers.. Anyways I am repairing my bhg on a 7mgte. I have arp undercut studs and a felpro permatorque head gasket, I plan on using some copper spray gasket and torquing the headstuds to 80ft lbs. I do not have anymore time and need the car running asap and need it to last under stock boost till I can save some more money. That being said the head and block have not been resurfaced. The head I have now is one I pulled from another car as the original is junk. I cleaned as best I could and I sanded both surfaces lightly with 400grit and lube. even though I was careful some paste byproduct from sanding and maybe gasket scrapings could have gotten in the passages. What is the best way to make sure It doesnt eat my bearings and clean it all out without damaging anything? Block is still in the car.. Also some pics of the block and head... good enough to get by???
Also should I loosen and retorque the head studs as some people have said? Also retorquing after heat cycling or miles? I should be able to get the engine back together today (thurs) and need to drive the car to Houston on Sun. (about 200 miles)
p1553695_1.jpg

p1553695_2.jpg

p1553695_3.jpg

p1553695_4.jpg

Last edited:

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Sooo I called arp, I was told clean threads(given) put in studs hand tight lube top threads+washers+nuts torque in 3 steps to 80ftlbs in toyota spec order. Then starting at the first stud in order back off/loosen(he said a half a turn will suffice) each nut and retorque to 80ftlbs and move to the next one till all are retorqued and repeat one more time. Done!

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Surfaces were cleaned as good as possible, I sprayed the hg with copper spray and torqued the studs as above to a final of 80ftlbs. Not finished but will tomorrow, I drained all the coolant and oil.. when finished gonna fill with water and cheap oil crank till I get oil pressure drain the oil, fill back up with cheap oil drive it around the block get up to temp and shut off, drain oil one more time fill with engine atf let idle up to temp shut off and drain. fill with reg quality oil and heat cycle a few more times. Re torque the bolts and drive it easy no boost for a week, change oil one more time drain water and refill with coolant and just take it easy with stock boost and see how long it holds out.. sound like a good plan?