BHG possible with no temp increase?

DontRevMe

Aug 2, 2009
Gainesville
I have smoking issues and a brownish sludge in my coolant res, yet the car runs fine and the temp gauge reads normal. Im doing a comp/leak down test this weekend. But is it even possible to have a bhg with no increase in temp?

thanks all

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I never overheated when i had a pretty bad BHG. Also remember that if your temp sensor is not submersed in coolant it isnt going to get a proper reading, so if you are getting air in the system this is a possibility too. Is your oil milky? If so stop driving it now as you are going to do major damage if you continue to.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
DontRevMe;1408648 said:
I have smoking issues and a brownish sludge in my coolant res, yet the car runs fine and the temp gauge reads normal. Im doing a comp/leak down test this weekend. But is it even possible to have a bhg with no increase in temp?

thanks all

I know I have posted this before but I'll try to be more thourogh this time. here goes:

Ways you can blow a HG:
1 coolant ---> where block meets head
2 oil pisses ---> where block meets head
3 combustion chainber ---> where block and head (rarely happens alone)
4 coolant <---> combustion chainber
5 oil <---> combustion chainber
6 coolant <---> oil
You can have any combo of these.
Having #3, or more than two usually indicates that you warped the shit out of your head. However you should always check for straightness, and hardness.

1&2 are obvious
3 rarely happens, and when it does i have never heard of it happening w/o one of the other five.
4 you will blow white smoke and overheat
5 you will blow blue smoke, oil pressure will drop and you will eventually starve for oil.
6 Your engine can overheat, sieze, or develop a knock and eventually blow.

1,2,6 will not be detected by compression test.
3,4,5 will be detected by compression test.

Steps to take to check, do in this order.
1 Check coolant. your oil pressure gets higher than water pressure so usually oil ends up in coolant. If you have a nasty mix (sounds like you do) you have BHG, cracked head or cracked/rusted out block.
2 check oil. your looking for a similar mix, which indicates same.
3 If 1 AND 2 check out, Then check/fill oil, and perform compression test. Fail indicates all of the above, or a valvetrain issue. This is where leakdown comes into play. Leakdown test will detect top end issues.
If all three pass. You should be good.

***Remember, if you have coolant oil mixing DO NOT RUN THE CAR, Even for a second. This comprimises your oil and will damage bearings. This is why people commonly get "rod knock" after a BHG.

FlipSupra8

Mar 3, 2009
maryland
i haev blue smoke...but my car runs fine....compression is strait off the line...but i still might as well do the leak down test correcT?

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
DontRevMe;1408648 said:

thanks all

Yeah check the oil and if its brownish thicker than usual oil, smells like antifreeze … if so then yeah… I noticed that long before the bhg thing got worse… when It did get worse I not only had a blown head gasket but a cracked head. I don’t know if that had to do with me continuing to drive the car but yeah

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
FlipSupra8;1408668 said:
i haev blue smoke...but my car runs fine....compression is strait off the line...but i still might as well do the leak down test correcT?

Not sure what you mean by this. ...blue smoke coming out of exhaust? Tell us how you preformed the comp test, so we can make sure you did it right, and give us numbers for each cylinder. We also could use other relevant information. Is it turbo charged, history you can tell us, pcv system molested? exc. Without the right info we're just guessing. Things like bad valve seals and leaky turbos can cause blue smoke w/o effecting compression.

supraboymk3;1408671 said:
Yeah check the oil and if its brownish thicker than usual oil, smells like antifreeze … if so then yeah… I noticed that long before the bhg thing got worse… when It did get worse I not only had a blown head gasket but a cracked head. I don’t know if that had to do with me continuing to drive the car but yeah
Its possible that it was caused by continued driving. The issue is cracking is obvious. Warping/annealing isnt always.

FlipSupra8

Mar 3, 2009
maryland
compression was all 151-154..car was warm all spark plugs were out...i mean i go 2 school for automechanics and im sure i tested it right..its a turbo...owner before says replaced gasket with metal but never flattened out block or head cuz he said it wasnt needed...but it drives fine no sputter...117xxxk miles...oh and he also removed EGR valve...and the smoke comes out MOST at start up..after it warms up it practily goes away

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
FlipSupra8;1409327 said:
compression was all 151-154..car was warm all spark plugs were out...i mean i go 2 school for automechanics and im sure i tested it right..its a turbo...owner before says replaced gasket with metal but never flattened out block or head cuz he said it wasnt needed...but it drives fine no sputter...117xxxk miles...oh and he also removed EGR valve...and the smoke comes out MOST at start up..after it warms up it practily goes away

TB wide open, efi fuse out? Wet dry or both? how fast did it climb enlighten us, dont just tell us you know what your doing, otherwise you wouldnt be asking. You're sure that you know everything about comp tests but here you are asking about comp vs leakdown.
Oil could easily be introduced through bad valve seals, turbo seals, oil in intercooler, pcv issues.... JDM ECU? If no then get an egr. Your running on ~30&#37; less fuel than you need at part throttle under 4k otherwise. Lean= knock, higher EGTs and other generally bad things. Hows the shaft play radial and axial, oil in the intake? oil leaking out of turbine side?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Did you perform the compression check per the TSRM?

EGR removal increases the chance of detonation which leads to BHG.

Improperly prepped head and block surfaces with an MHG can lead to BHG symptoms.

Blue smoke is burning oil and likely not related to a BHG. Does it smoke after an in gear decel?

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Some may remember that i had issues with coolant loss. I started gathering parts for complete overhaul,but... Just out of curiousity i did nothing and i'm still driving eweryday. The waterfall sound behind the dash is gone. I havent heard it in ages. No overheating. Oil is clean, no gunk on the cap. She pulls strong. The only things that can be asociated with bhg is colant loss and white smoke(but only on colder days). So, i'm just wondering. It's been half a year now. My driving style is moderate. Sometimes easy, sometimes pedal to the metal. I think that my hg would've already be blown if it had any leaks or am i wrong?

FlipSupra8

Mar 3, 2009
maryland
oh yea it was dry but there was oil on the spark plugs....as i read i most likley need 2 replace the spark pluig gaskets as oil is speeing threw....TB was open...egi fuse was out...therefore if there was oil most likley it would be wet tested...oh and may i add i had the waterfall sounds...BUT only because i used cheap hoses as replacement to my curent ones...but i dont drive the supra anymore as im cautious about this..havent driven itin 6 months

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
lewis15498;1408664 said:
I know I have posted this before but I'll try to be more thourogh this time. here goes:

Ways you can blow a HG:
1 coolant ---> where block meets head
2 oil pisses ---> where block meets head
3 combustion chainber ---> where block and head (rarely happens alone)
4 coolant <---> combustion chainber
5 oil <---> combustion chainber
6 coolant <---> oil
You can have any combo of these.
Having #3, or more than two usually indicates that you warped the shit out of your head. However you should always check for straightness, and hardness.

1&2 are obvious
3 rarely happens, and when it does i have never heard of it happening w/o one of the other five.
4 you will blow white smoke and overheat
5 you will blow blue smoke, oil pressure will drop and you will eventually starve for oil.
6 Your engine can overheat, sieze, or develop a knock and eventually blow.

1,2,6 will not be detected by compression test.
3,4,5 will be detected by compression test.

Steps to take to check, do in this order.
1 Check coolant. your oil pressure gets higher than water pressure so usually oil ends up in coolant. If you have a nasty mix (sounds like you do) you have BHG, cracked head or cracked/rusted out block.
2 check oil. your looking for a similar mix, which indicates same.
3 If 1 AND 2 check out, Then check/fill oil, and perform compression test. Fail indicates all of the above, or a valvetrain issue. This is where leakdown comes into play. Leakdown test will detect top end issues.
If all three pass. You should be good.

***Remember, if you have coolant oil mixing DO NOT RUN THE CAR, Even for a second. This comprimises your oil and will damage bearings. This is why people commonly get "rod knock" after a BHG.

just confirmed coolant in my cylinders and ran across this guys thread and thouht I'd share. I've got #3 on your list with no other symptoms. No coolant in the oil, no steam in the crankcase, no smoke in the exhaust, no overheating Ever, no coolant has ever pushed from the radiator.

I just rented a coolant pressure tester and hooked it up. I pumped up the system to 20psi. I came back from work and it dropped to 12psi and I have coolant sitting on top of the pistons of 3, 4, and 6. I pumped it back up just to see how much coolant comes out. I'm startng to think I have bad machine work to blame since it's a cometic torqued to 105 with studs.