BHG Much?

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
so, as some of you may or may not know, i am in the process of doing a full rebuild. i started bc i feared BHG. the original plan was to strip it down to the long block then just take it to the shop and have them do my machining and rebuilding. well, i had some free time and thought id pull the head off just to see what condition my head gasket was in. the first thing i noticed was that some of the bolts were only ar about 25lbs and the highest torque was 50lbs. anyway, here is what i found:

#6 and #5
p1409847_1.jpg

#4 and #3
p1409847_2.jpg

#2 and #1
p1409847_3.jpg

i just picked it up off the block to get a better picture
p1409847_4.jpg

blown on every cylinder. i have had people ask me how my car was still running(and winning races) and i simply do not know since they said when their only blew the #6 they couldnt move. it actually ran relatively well(didnt overheat) and was moderately quick. i am excited to see just how well it runs after being bored over, replacing the knock sensors, and putting the MHG in.
just thought someone might be interested.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
I think the gasket looks worse than it actually is, There's still some carbon on the pistons. good thing you're fixing it!

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Basically the default when buying an un re-built 7m supra is to include money in your budget for a rebuild or hg job :icon_razz

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
kinda depends what parts you want to get rid of. also, i dont think it has been blown long. i drove it into my garage to start working on it..no white smoke or overheating or anything. very strange. have any of you seen them blow on every piston though? i thought it was usually just the #6

oh and kamikaze, im in greenville. i have a friend in Raleigh that i visit. actually, i am sending my motor to Raleigh with him to get built.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Turbo Habanero;1410564 said:
looks bad but if your car seemed to be running ok why did you fear the BHG? what set off the alarm for you?

well, simply put, i didnt know if it had been changed/retorqued before i got it so i was going to make sure of it anyway. however, i decided to check my coolant one day and there was a slight film, not milky or and pancake batter in the valve cover. but there was a small about of oil in the coolant as well as what looked like a few graphite flakes. sooo, i parked it.

supradude88

Jan 3, 2006
Youngsville, North Carolina
kamikazemkiii;1409864 said:
looks pretty bad
im in NC lemme kno if u need any parts :)
were are u?

Hey I'm in greenville with Matt (7m-KDL) and I live in Raleigh when I'm not in school. Deff want to meet up with some other supras in the area. Have any coil packs by any chance?

Last edited:

supradude88

Jan 3, 2006
Youngsville, North Carolina
7M-KDL;1410602 said:
well, simply put, i didnt know if it had been changed/retorqued before i got it so i was going to make sure of it anyway. however, i decided to check my coolant one day and there was a slight film, not milky or and pancake batter in the valve cover. but there was a small about of oil in the coolant as well as what looked like a few graphite flakes. sooo, i parked it.

BS MATT!! I called it out when you came to my house and I said your rad was boiling!!! Saved your A** lol!!

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
supradude88;1411392 said:
BS MATT!! I called it out when you came to my house and I said your rad was boiling!!! Saved your A** lol!!
well i dont think it was boiling actually, i think it was bubbling because of the exhaust pushing air in. my temp was fine, which is kind of odd thats why i say it didnt "overheat". if you remember, the coolant/water, wasnt just steam at that point. and, whose fault was it that i had to drive at highway speed for so long and cause so much exhaust gas to get into my coolant. :p

oh, i was also suspicious before that bc i had a "waterfall" behind my dash every once in a while.