BHG? Help

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
I should've known to never buy a car with a "built" engine...you'll just get bent over in the end.

Did a compression test today on the car b/c I noticed it was blowing blue smoke after it idled for a few minutes and it would blow blue after I hit boost (~15psi on a GT35R)

Compression results (cyls. 1 to 6): 90, 85, 145, 125, 115, 140

Compression after oil added (cyls. 1 to 6): 105, 100, 150, 145, 125, 155

The engine only has ~30 000kms on it it since being rebuilt. Supposedly it had a MHG installed with ARP studs as part of the rebuild.

I'm going to pull the head off this weekend to see if it is a BHG. If not, I'm pulling the 7M out, selling it off and going 2JZ.

Any ideas why it would've blown on such low boost?

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Ric said:
To me it sounds like your getting alot of blowby, doesn't sound like BHG.

I should've added that I seem to have higher than normal crankcase pressure b/c my IC pipes are coated in oil and the PCV piping and intake pipe usually has an abnormal amount of oil in them. (IMO, broken rings would allow boost to leak into the crankcase).

Also, the wideband has been reading an overly rich mixture at idle (11.5-13.0) and at light cruise (10.6-11.8)...there are no boost leaks in the system as I've already checked for them...

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Sounds like someone didn't properly seat the rings. Probably broke it in with synthetic lol.. Hell, ive seen motors with huge ring gaps that caused that. People don't know how to read install manuals.

I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as there is no metal in the oil, but you'll be one day in the future needing a re-rebuild but I wouldn't fear blowing it up just yet.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
The engine was fine all last season.

I bought the car with ~9000kms on it and it hasn't blown blue smoke until this year.

I don't care if it blows up to be honest...it's been parked until I can get it fixed again...no sense in driving a car who's performance decreases every day.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
I'll bet more boost would just make the ring condition worse. Not to mention burning oil will gum up the turbine wheel and throw it out of balance.

I'll pull the head and oil pan off, pull out the pistons and see what I'm working with