bhg dilema

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
long story, short. got a bad head gasket, and emptied the radiator into the engine- over a gallon of coolant was drained from the oil pan. but the car wasnt driven like this. i saw coolant shoot out of valve cover breather when the car was idling in garage and turned it off immediately. pulled the head and cylinder walls and cam journals look like new- this is a brand new engine and it wasnt making any noises (knocking) when i turned it off.

dilema- put head on, flush it with oil real good or pull engine again and spend 600 on getting it cleaned, new bearings and new rings???? as always, any input is welcome and appreciated.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
it really depends on the situation. I dont think rings are necessary, but i would do the bearings if i was in your situation. It wont cost anywhere near 600 bucks to change the bearings especially if theyre the stock size itd be easy. You wouldnt want to do all this work and end up with rod knock like so many people do, that sounds like a lot of coolant went into your crankcase too

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
the main reason why i started thinking on just puting the head back on is because the cylinder walls and cam journals look soo good. i figured if the crank was scarred up the cylinder walls would be to. right??

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ummm dunno what you want me to say Ed.

I posted what I think you need to do, if you're fishing for someone to jump in and say "yes put the head back on and run it" so be it but I think that's the wrong approach.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
lol....yeah i know wat ur sayin ij. im just a little down and a little pissed at myself because of this situation. dont know wat to do.... honestly, i probably believe ur word over anybody. no offense to everyone else lol.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Ed: LOL Mine lasted 12Km's (around the block)

When I had to pull it down for a bent valve the machine shop missed.....

I know exactly how you feel, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just do it right. (It hurt stripping a brand new HKS Stopper MHG let me tell ya)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jetjock;940601 said:
Put the head back on and run it ;)

LOL
wedgie.gif

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
IJ.;940772 said:
Running fine just getting ready to build a prototype part for the fuel system now my contract is completed.

Took the thread down.
That's great.

The thread was getting long enough to make a TV mini series.....There you go:)