BHG?? coolant under oil cap..

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
ok so my car recently started leaking coolant from waht seems to be the water pump gasket, or bad water pump... as i was just inspecting the area i just decided to take off the oil cap and i saw somthing i never wanted to see,, i had green coolant mixed in with my oil :cry: i have never had a BHG before, i bought the car with an almost newly replaced HG about 5 months ago, it was a metal/paper gasket, torqued to 70ft. lbs. i have a 60-1 turbo, never boosted over 14psi. car seems to be driving fine,, it only leaks coolant out the water pump when i boost it some, but under normal driving the car is perfect... any ideas what the problem is? i hope its not a BHG.. Boostlee said it could be a blown turbo.. so i'll check that out to..any other ways for coolant to get into the valve covers? but please any help or advice is very greatly appreciated! thanks!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
oh,, also after the car is warmed up and being driven for a while, on my way home for just a few seconds i could smell what seemed to be burning oil?? it recently started happening every time i drive the car for a while, just a few seconds of buring oil smell.

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
If you're getting coolant under the valve covers, then you're getting coolant in your oil.
If you're getting coolant in your oil, you're probably doing crazy damage to your engine components.
If you're doing crazy damage to your engine components, then you're gonna have to rebuild things.
If you're gonna have to rebuild things, you're gonna have to take off the head. If you're gonna have to take off the head, you're gonna have to replace the HG.
If you're gonna have to replace the HG, just treat it like a BHG.

And.. a metal/paper gasket? What the hell? And a thought just came to me: If you're only spewing water out the weep hole on your water pump under boost, then that means boost is getting into your cooling system. The only place your boost and your coolant intersect is at the cylinders. The only way for that to happen is if high-pressure compression gases (boost and fuel vapor) are being pushed into the water jacket through a breach in the head gasket. When you add in the fact that there's coolant in your oil too... well... the answer is clear.

BHG

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
ok.. i just poped off the rad cap.. theres NO oil in the rad.... what can i do to be 100% sure its a BHG and not somthing else?? take it to a shop and compression test?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
suprafanatic said:
ok.. i just poped off the rad cap.. theres NO oil in the rad.... what can i do to be 100% sure its a BHG and not somthing else?? take it to a shop and compression test?

You sort of missed the point of kntmikado's post.

Let me restate - at this point, it doesn't even matter if you have a BHG (which you do). The reason it doesn't matter is because you already KNOW you have coolant in your oil. This is what does the big damage. So, the point is, even if it's not a BHG (which it is), you are going to have to tear her down and rebuild. Just get over it and dig in.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Other's above have stated the truth, to the best of everyone's guesstimate. You can do a block test to check for bhg, but I really wouldn't want to drive the car, or run it for any longer than it takes to do the block test. I don't know how the coolant and oil systems are run in the turbo, so I can't say that it is or is not a possibility. IF the block test comes clean, I'd look at the turbo. If it is the turbo, I'd fix it, drain the oil, clean out the oil cooler, and then use new oil and filter. If you don't clean out the cooler, you're still gonna have some coolant/water residue is the oil.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
i checked the oil in the oil pan and its fine, theres no coolant in it...no signs of coolant mix with the oil "chocolate milk" ... the gasket on the water pump is bad, its not leaking out the seep holes...the car drives fine, no loss of power..

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
How do you have coolant underneath your oil cap and not in the pan? Am I an idiot here? (certainly OK to say yes :icon_razz )

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
this might sound extremely dumb.. but i think theres a slight chance i might have put coolant into the oil on accident...not likely but now that i think about it i'v been having oil leaks and coolant leaks at the same time and have kept both oil and coolant bottles in the car.. i might have grabbed the coolant bottle and poured it into the vavle cover oil hole and not even realized it :S besides i thought with a BHG under the oil cap would be like a milky white substance? not pure coolant??

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
suprafanatic said:
this might sound extremely dumb.. but i think theres a slight chance i might have put coolant into the oil on accident...not likely but now that i think about it i'v been having oil leaks and coolant leaks at the same time and have kept both oil and coolant bottles in the car.. i might have grabbed the coolant bottle and poured it into the vavle cover oil hole and not even realized it :S besides i thought with a BHG under the oil cap would be like a milky white substance? not pure coolant??

:3d_frown: :nono: :runaway: :slap: :hsugh: ::salute:: :eek: :rofl:

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
lol.. i guess only one way to find out... drain all oil.. put fresh in,, see if coolant comes back?? sound reasonable? or is there somthing else i should do?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
suprafanatic said:

You have GOT to be kidding. Putting coolant in the sump is probably one of the most boneheaded and expensive mistakes you could make. Not to mention coolant and oil bottles are completely different sizes. Please sell that car before you damage it further.

I seriously hope you are mistaken. :aigo:

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
actualy the coolant and oil bottle i have are the exact same size..but ones grey ones white.. and i work on the car late at night, not good lighting..i guess i can pull the vavle covers off and see how bad it really is,, there doesnt seem to be much coolant at all in there..

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
suprafanatic said:
:slap: You have got to be kidding.....:aigo: