better that stock downpipe exhaust gaskets?

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I'm running a TD06 mated up to a regular RT downpipe. Problem is the OE paper gaskets suck balls and if I let the car sit for any extended period of time (not my primary) the damn thing rots/blows out. And changing them sucks. Is there a better solution out there (copper, alum, etc)? I only ask cause it's time to do it again.

Thanks-

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Those are cool looking gaskets, but unless I missed it, I only saw one for the exhaust housing/ elbow for a CT26. Im looking for the 3bolt DP gasket. Thanks though

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bwest;1689942 said:
Then the last one I got from Elmhurst was incorrect... Solves that problem.

Got a pic? If it's the gasket I think it is, the mating surfaces have to be cleaned up for them to work.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
@Poodles - not handy, it's on the car now & I haven't pulled it out yet. When I put it back together everything was perfectly clean (IE: turbo elbow was fresh from ceramic coating, DP flange was wire brushed clean). Is the one you're thinking of have a crush ring? 'Cause this one didn't.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

KicknAsphlt;1690301 said:
They have 3-bolt flange gaskets as well for whatever pipe size you need. Should be under 'general exhaust' gaskets, since they're universal.
Unfortunately Toyota doesn't use a symmetrical 3-bolt flange or else there are tons of options. When looking up @ the flange from under the car I can see why they did that, but it still makes finding gaskets a PITA.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Could always make one from a thin sheet of copper.

Edit: you talking about the turbo->downpipe gasket? The OEMs are the way to go. Here are pics of a brand new set which I bought when I was going to put another CT upgrade on my 7M several years back.

p1691131_1.jpg

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
bwest;1690874 said:
@Poodles - not handy, it's on the car now & I haven't pulled it out yet. When I put it back together everything was perfectly clean (IE: turbo elbow was fresh from ceramic coating, DP flange was wire brushed clean). Is the one you're thinking of have a crush ring? 'Cause this one didn't.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Unfortunately Toyota doesn't use a symmetrical 3-bolt flange or else there are tons of options. When looking up @ the flange from under the car I can see why they did that, but it still makes finding gaskets a PITA.

Remflex can make custom gaskets, you just have to send them a template. You'll pay more up-front to cover their tooling costs, but it's worth it IMO, and they're really fantastic people to deal with. I had custom header gaskets made by them for my truck, and it was a pretty smooth process and quick turn-around. Hell, if you found a few people to go in on this with you, they'd have their tooling costs covered and you'd be sharing that cost with others....so wouldn't be a huge financial burden.