Best way to tighten crank pulley bolt

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I am assembling the 7M on an engine stand. There is no way I will be able to tighten it like the manual says too. I am thinking a length of flat bar stock and drill it out and bolt it to the back of the crank with the flywheel bolts and then when the metal bar stops the crank from turning tighten it that way. Or is there a better way? Also my tourqe wrench only goes to 150 ft lbs do you think that will be enough?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If the oil pan is off, use a 2x4 to block the crank...the spec is 195 ft/lbs.
And yes, it is necessary...borrow a torque wrench that goes to 250 ft/lbs.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Be carefull if you tighten it on a engine stand as you can , with that much torque you can flip the motor and stand over. I usally wait to get that one after it's in the car:)

Digilog

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary
We just did this yesterday to my 7MGE, we used the old rope trick, feed some quater inch rope into cyl #1 start to turn the motor over the piston will push against the rope and stop. you can then tourque bolt to 195 then back the crank back the other way and remove the rope. This trick was actually listed in one of the versions of the Haynes manual for the car and we have used it many times with success.

Digilog

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary
AJ'S 88NA Be carefull if you tighten it on a engine stand as you can , with that much torque you can flip the motor and stand over. I usally wait to get that one after it's in the car

Oh yeah if it is on the stand it can tip easily, there was two of us, one to steady the stand while the other tourqued the bolt down.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
WooHoo!!! Working at the pawn shop is great. Some ex mechanic just brought in and sold us a 250 ft lb Cornwell Tourqe wrench!! Right on time sir!! LOL I will be borrowing that one for sure!!!

I have the engine on the stand and also secured to the rafters of my garage with a come-a-long and some steel cable around the hooks on the head. Its pretty stable right now. But I can see how it would fall.