Best way to purge air out of cooling system? thanks

boostedmklll

Apr 14, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
just changed antifreeze and temp gauge moves from hot to could alot during driving. guessing there is an air pocket in the line. What is the best way to get the air out of the cooling system? thanks everyone

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
That's the process. What makes it a little easier and less messy is a cooling system bleeding tool. If that's what it's called anyway...

It's basically a large funnel that gets put in place of your rad cap. You fill up the funnel and let it idle. As the thermostat opens and closes, air bubble cycle through. Be aware, burping the cooling system can be a lengthy process.

EDIT: Link to bleeder :) : http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0

onemancrew

Feb 7, 2012
Sydney
jonahs_supra;1750157 said:
theres quiet a few ways to bleed the cooling system
what i found works best (for me) is putting the cooling system on a vaccum
about 30 minutes of vaccum and its good to go

How do you vacuum a cooling system??

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Yeah what i do is i remove the nipple from the thermostat and run the heater full blast for 10 minutes. Never had a problem with air pockets in the system here in the beautiful texas heat.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you keep purging, then a few days later get the water sound behind the dash, you have a small leak somewhere. And that doesn't mean BHG, it just means air is going in where the coolant is going out.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I had a small leak in my heater core. I didn't know it so I was like you and trying to get all the air out of the system by opening the rad cap and stuff. Check for leaks first. A leak in the heater core is hard to notice. You probably could disconnect the heater core hoses in the engine bay and plug one end and put a gauge on the other, then fill it with air or water. See if it holds.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I used a funnel in the rad, heater to hot fill the funnel to an inch above the rad and let it idle to operating temp, top off as needed, fill the recovery tank and in a few days it will find it's own level.

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Install this in your rear heater hose across the firewall there across the back of the motor and you will NEVER have to burp it again. The only part of this kit I used is the T fitting that has a threaded cap on top of it to T into that rear coolant line.

http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AFKIT0-Universal-Flush-Fill/dp/B000CCFY5W

That kit is at just about every autozone or auto parts store. Fill your empty system from that port and you essentially fill up the block and radiator from the bottom up and there will be no bubbles. I had this kit on my last Supra and never once had to burp or do anything with the coolant system. I'm building a new one now and will do the exact same thing.