Best way to install guage faces?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Slow and steady wins that race... I did it without removing the needles on my 87 NA. If you don't want to cut your overlays you have to remove the tac and speedo needles. A small razorblade slice off the needle hole say 1/4 inch or so and you can slip them on with little difficulty. If you got the ones with the stupid rig in the middle it will probably kill it.

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
i cant seem to remember, but I didnt see a way of putting them on without taking the needles off ? anybody want to explain or have pix, , now I'm curious, an cant seem to remember at the moment when I did mine ...

WIll

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I just installed my guage faces and the needles didn't have to come off. Although I did have to move a rotate the needle on a couple of them. The oil pressure unit had to be removed to be reassembled. The trick is to rotate the face until you can slip the needle through the hole and then get the face over the large circle that the needel is attached to, then rotate the face into its propper position.

Adam

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
IJ. said:

so true

Matt,
what an how were you useing a razor blade ? explain man ?

maybe I'm ghetto, but I use a pair of needle nose pliers lined with I gues some cloth, to put my needles on an off.....
being very carefull though

Will

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
My handiwork. Only tools used were a regular sized Phillips screw driver, mini screw driver, and mini Phillips screw driver.

guagecluster0711201xy8.jpg

guagecluster0711202cx0.jpg

guagecluster0711203ct1.jpg

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I pried my needles off with a fork. It worked rather well.

I've had all of my needles off a couple times, and never had any calibration issues. You just need to take your time and be careful. Regardless, the speedo and tach are by far the hardest to screw up, you really can't (unless you break the needle).

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A fork!? That's genius.

I took all my needles off when I painted them blue. I just remembered where they were all pointing, and put them back on in the same spot. The only one I screwed up was the volt meter. I positioned it a little too low. Of course, it's always been covered up by some other gauge, so it doesn't matter.

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
Did not need to remove the needles on mine. They should fit over the the, be care full of the oil pressure gauge and boost gauge as if you undo both screws it falls apart. Do 1 screw at a time.
p832199_1.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
The best way to install them is to buy mine, they are already installed.(they even come with a gauge cluster) There in F/S section. only $50 plus shipping, Needles read correct!!!