Best way to fix b-pillar trim?

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
I have no idea how, but the vent/trim piece on the passenger side b-pillar of my 87 has broken the attachment point that holds it onto the car (the one at the bottom). Since I can't buy a new one and I really don't want to go through the hassle of trying to find a used one and matching the paint etc..., what would be the best product to use to glue it back together. I would want something that is going to last and not break down in the Florida heat. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
All you need to do is remove the upper rear plastic interior piece in the car (make sure you take extra care of this piece as the tabs break easy over time and remove all screws such as behind the seatbelt also), remove the top seat belt bolt and you will need a deep 10mm socket for the two long bolts the hold that piece in place. Once you remove it off of the car, apply a heavy duty 2 part epoxy to both tabs where the threaded stud mounts to the pillar. That will hold it better than new. On a side note I also recommend applying epoxy to those tabs on the interior plastic piece for some extra reinforcement too.

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
plaaya69;2092612 said:
All you need to do is remove the upper rear plastic interior piece in the car (make sure you take extra care of this piece as the tabs break easy over time and remove all screws such as behind the seatbelt also), remove the top seat belt bolt and you will need a deep 10mm socket for the two long bolts the hold that piece in place. Once you remove it off of the car, apply a heavy duty 2 part epoxy to both tabs where the threaded stud mounts to the pillar. That will hold it better than new. On a side note I also recommend applying epoxy to those tabs on the interior plastic piece for some extra reinforcement too.
Yes I've had the trim off before a couple of times and did in fact break one of the tabs for the interior trim.

Is there a specific 2 part epoxy you would recommend? I've used 2 part expoxys in the past and they didn't seem to work. Maybe I'm not buying the right stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
The one I am using now is "Loctite Professional Heavy Duty Epoxy" from Home Depot and it is quick drying but I still let it sit for a few hours before I reinstall anything. It is two parts in a single tube and it works great for metal, plastics and wood as well. If you do not go with that one just look at the LBS ratting and go with a high one and one made for plastics as that would work great for the B-pillar tabs.

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Thank you for the tip. I ended up buying something before you posted because I didn't like driving around with a piece of tape holding the trim on. I used JB Weld Plastic Weld 2 part epoxy. I hadn't used this particular epoxy before, but it seemed like it was perfect for this kind of job. It seems like its going to hold; I gave it a nice little tug and it didn't move. Thankfully because it was all the way on the bottom I didn't need to take it all apart to apply the epoxy. Of course only time will tell if it will continue to hold. If it doesn't I will let everyone know.