Best Turbo Upgrade

Suprasath

Nov 9, 2008
Toronto
Im trying to buy a good, reliable turbo that spools up fast and keeps going till redline. Something that I can build 25psi with. I saw bunch of ct 26 upgrade, T3/T4, name brand turbos like hks and greddy. I want everyone's opinion on this but mainly looking for the guys that has experienced it out there. I just want to pay for somthing once and let it last a while than break down in 8months down the road. Something that i can look at and say "ye thats money well spent".

Hopin to hear from you folks soon.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
it all depends on your goals for the car.
you can never go wrong with a .57 trim ct-26 if you want to make 350-400 hp. i have loved mine the whole time i've had it.
i will soon be upgrading to something a little larger though.

do you want quick spooling, or a little lag?
do you have the necessary upgrades for the rest of the car?

Suprasath

Nov 9, 2008
Toronto
I hate the turbo lag. I rebuilt the engine about 2 months ago. So its healthy but compression ishigher than 160psi all cylinders. HKS MHG and arp studs are done for sure. IM running the maft pro in speed density mode. I got the walboro 255 pump. IM only looking for 400whp, since my internals are all stock. Intercooler is done. 3' exhaust from turbo elbow is down also. For the kind of power im looking for i dont knw if i would need bigger injectors and adjusable fuel pressure regulator. My budget on a turbo is about $1500 max. I just want somthing that spools up at about 3500rpm atleast. But something that can last.

Just wondering how lon you guys had your upgraded turbos?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
6,000 miles on sp61gt, full boost in the range of 3500-4000rpm and positive boost in the low 2300rpm range. Hits pretty hard at 16psi.
25psi on pump? race gas? meth?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
hvyman;1206717 said:
get a 57trim ct, 550cc injectors, wide band and afpr.

yup thats what i was thinking..but if i read your post right you got the stock turbo elbow?? pretty sure thats a big downfall.

i've got the above,maft spd/dens, 3inch turbo down then to 2 3/4 back no cat, and i get full boost 7.5-8.5PSI at about 2700rpm..na-t of course;) and that turbo is about half your budget. boost controller in and 13psi here i come in febuary when i'm back in vancouver.

edit: and thats about 3/4throttle-2.8volts on tps...another short coming of the na-t to be fixed in febuary:):)

Suprasath

Nov 9, 2008
Toronto
wow now were talking. I need everyone's input on this because this will help many of us out there. I have to admit, I've been in a lot of forums but this is one of the best forums ever.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Any of the CT upgrades are still going to fall off on the top end as you outflow the exhaust turbine...

"Best" is a relative term. For that power level the TD06 upgrade is quite nice, but expensive.

Suprasath

Nov 9, 2008
Toronto
Poodles;1206847 said:
Any of the CT upgrades are still going to fall off on the top end as you outflow the exhaust turbine...

"Best" is a relative term. For that power level the TD06 upgrade is quite nice, but expensive.

greddy seems like they know whats their doing but the price tag is high.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Suprasath;1206842 said:
wow now were talking. I need everyone's input on this because this will help many of us out there. I have to admit, I've been in a lot of forums but this is one of the best forums ever.

theres a sticky in the ge section, but you allready got the gte block so.. i'll be running the same setup when this eng packs it in. oh my turbo does only have 2500kms on it, 1500km 1 day, freeway not boosting. other 1000 very hard lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i have the 57 spools really quick. very nice upgrade. the sp61gt very nice too bolts right up.