best place to buy

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
i used to have an mkiii, now i have a z32, looking for an mkiv. ive heard many different opinions on this one. some say get a salvaged one cheap, some say canada. some say get a cheap non turbo and swap the turbo motor in. opinions?

jcr2fast4u

7mlover
Jan 5, 2008
southern cali
i wanna get a mk4 actually to. i think it might be cheaper to just buy the NA and do the 2jzgte swap to it. idon't know thats just what i would do.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
jcr2fast4u;924922 said:
i wanna get a mk4 actually to. i think it might be cheaper to just buy the NA and do the 2jzgte swap to it. idon't know thats just what i would do.

but where to find one... craigslist has like zero. cars.com has a few but there all for like 20k. a non turbo in OK shape should be around 15k. i wanna get one with a blown motor or just not in great mechanical shape for around 10. i was thinking police auctions

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
http://www.speedforsale.com does a good job with used MKIV's. They get full service, valve guide seals, timing belts, etc before he sells them.

The owners name is Jeremy Blackwell, if you call him tell him that Mike Donohue sent you.

You may not get the 100% cheapest deal from him, but you will get an excellent car that has been thoroughly gone over.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
Supracentral;924945 said:
http://www.speedforsale.com does a good job with used MKIV's. They get full service, valve guide seals, timing belts, etc before he sells them.

The owners name is Jeremy Blackwell, if you call him tell him that Mike Donohue sent you.

You may not get the 100% cheapest deal from him, but you will get an excellent car that has been thoroughly gone over.

thanks mike, i browesed through there, it just seems they are a bit out of my price range :werd:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
jcr2fast4u;924922 said:

It won't be cheaper to take an NA Supra and turn it into a full TT Supra. I mean everything, including the brakes and 6spd swap done right.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
OneJoeZee;925022 said:
It won't be cheaper to take an NA Supra and turn it into a full TT Supra. I mean everything, including the brakes and 6spd swap done right.

not necessarily true.. i have a friend.. well not friend anymore.. but anyways he buys NA supras from canada, swaps in the turbo motor and 6 speed tranny, puts a body kit on it and re does the interior, resells it making about 5k in the process.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
aidanair;925028 said:
not necessarily true.. i have a friend.. well not friend anymore.. but anyways he buys NA supras from canada, swaps in the turbo motor and 6 speed tranny, puts a body kit on it and re does the interior, resells it making about 5k in the process.

You didn't tell me how much he's buying the NAs for and how much he's selling them for afterwords and what all was involved in the conversion.

Outline the expenses for me please. From NA to full GTE, 6spd, TT brakes, etc.

I meant my post as a general statement and it usually holds true more often than not. NA Supras generally sell for 10-14k. The full 6spd swap itself including diff, axles, etc can eat up 10k quick. Not to mention the GTE part... Or the brakes.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211926

Yes, many parts can be bought used and you can find great deals on things but it will still be expensive and probably still cheaper all said and done to just buy a TT Supra.

Last edited:

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
OneJoeZee;925061 said:
You didn't tell me how much he's buying the NAs for and how much he's selling them for afterwords and what all was involved in the conversion.

I meant my post as a general statement and it usually holds true more often than not. NA Supras generally sell for 10-14k. The full 6spd swap itself including diff, axles, etc can eat up 10k quick. Not to mention the GTE part... Or the brakes.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211926

Yes, many parts can be bought used and you can find great deals on things but it will still be expensive and probably still cheaper all said and done to just buy a TT Supra.

his latest he bought for 8k in canada and put 6 grand into. all he replaced was engine and tranny. resold for 19k.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
OneJoeZee;925061 said:

Where's he getting full GTE/6spd swaps for 6k from? MK4 clips?

I'm still sticking by my statement that is cheaper to buy a complete Supra turbo than to to create one from an NA. Of course there's always an exception though.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Where can you get a n/a supra for $8k??
I would love to find one up here in Canada it would save me trouble of shipping.
not that I can afford it right now.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I agree with Joe. Cheaper to get a TT from the start. Around here you can get a decent TT 6 speed for around 25 grand. A decent NA is around 15 grand. And for me looking around for parts and such I know for that $10,000 in difference it is going to be hard not to pass just to get it to where the TT originally was.

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
AbsoluteSpeed;928284 said:
Where can you get a n/a supra for $8k??
I would love to find one up here in Canada it would save me trouble of shipping.
not that I can afford it right now.

Werd! I'll take one too!

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
rajoma;931745 said:
I can get you a 1993 TT MK4 JDM for about $16000 if you are interested. Have an NA and a couple RZ coming this spring. We can also source one for you if you want.

Sorry rojoma, you aren't welcomed to sell here yet. You have to have 50+ posts or 12 months membership. So, don't post anymore of this until you meet those requirements, especially anywhere other than the classified section.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
heres a 93 tt 6spd supra with a buy it now of 17,400
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...201773696QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200201773696

heres a n/a-t 5spd on autotrader for 9,500.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...8&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=220

and ive seen mk4 n/a's for 8,000 or a tad over before on autotrader just have to catch them.... and if you can find a 5spd n/a put a thicker headgasket on it and install a turbo on it w/ fuel upgrades and a piggyback youve got a pretty stout car....

Last edited:

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
suprarcr89;932505 said:
heres a 93 tt 6spd supra with a buy it now of 17,400
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...201773696QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200201773696

heres a n/a-t 5spd on autotrader for 9,500.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...8&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=220

and ive seen mk4 n/a's for 8,000 or a tad over before on autotrader just have to catch them.... and if you can find a 5spd n/a put a thicker headgasket on it and install a turbo on it w/ fuel upgrades and a piggyback youve got a pretty stout car....

thank you suprarcr89, finally an answer i can USE lolll no offense other guys.. btw thanks mike for the refer at speedforsale im definitely gonna check it out

Interex

Mar 30, 2005
Houston, TX
Coming from an MK-IV owner, wait to find the exact car you want as you want it. I bought my TT auto thinking that I would just convert it to 6-speed later. Looking back, it would have been cheaper for me to find a 6-speed car.