Best mod to date.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
I have had my MKIII for over 2 years. I got it with rod knock and, I took it apart and fixed that and I made CPS covers and added brakes and started to make cool parts. I made front and rear brakes and put 9 inch wide 17 inch wheels and sticky tires. I made EGR block off plates and turbo drain lines, Installed a 3 inch Down pipe and 3 inch complete exhaust. Its pretty much my mule for all the parts I make for a MKIII. I haven't gone hog wild but I have done a fair bit of work on this car, from rod and main bearings, to a MHG to a ARP bolts and all the other this and that it takes to make an 18 year old car road worthy enough for road trips to Vegas and the like. One thing I neglected is the A/C. As you could assume with the motor going in and out, a couple times, by the previous owner and myself the A/C had become discharged. all I knew is that from the day I purchased it the A/C never did work. previous owner said that the A/C never worked for him either so I had always assumed the worst.

With the memories of last years trip to SILV 06 with no A/C tugging at me I finally got off of my butt and did something about it. Last year I left my house at 4:30 pm and and it was well over 100, I drove right thru the heart of Phoenix rush hour traffic, it sucked, no A/C the heat was just boiling off of the pavement and I was just crawling along. It wasn't until 6:30 pm that I was able to get out of town and get some air flow thru the car to cool me off a bit.

Man am I happy I fixed the A/C!!! You guys never told me the A/C worked so good in these cars. I recharged it with actual R12 and replaced the A/C compressor shaft seal, and the O-rings right at the compressor, wasnt too hard. Clifton used his vacuum pump and sucked it down, I never left the system open so I didnt replace the dryer, other than a small issue with the high side seal (had to leave the adapter installed to keep it from leaking). All went pretty smooth I was so excited to go running erands with the A/C blowing cold in the Supra. I didnt drive it all summer, only because it sucked so bad even at night. Hell it was usually over 95 even at midnight.

Inside of 30 seconds the A/C is blowing cold and after 2 miles on the freeway a thermometer in my dash board vents reads 47-48 degrees. With extended driving the vent temps get down to 42 and lower.

This might not seem like a big deal but realize the low temps have been more than 95 for over 4 months with this being the hottest longest summer on record, you can imagine why I am so excited about this.

This is the BEST MOD to date. Just in time too, LOL.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
yah, my friend wants to do that in his 240...im going to let him, and then tell him i was right and he needs it...i can see 75-80 with the windows down without ac, but as soon as it hits 81+ ac is on with the windows up...

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I live in Canada, and I still insist on AC working in my cars :) It sucks to have to roll your windows down in rush hour traffic and choke on exhaust fumes. With AC you can transport your own bubble of fresh air wherever you go!

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
LOL I think the best mod to date for me was getting a daily driver! Haha Im glade you got the a/c fixed in the supra Andy that means who ever is driving your supra to vegas will have a nice comfortable drive up and back : ).

I on the other hand took my A/c of my supra since its not daily driven anymore and probably will never be a daily driver as long as I own it.

mattcosta7

Jun 20, 2007
Dobbs Ferry, NY
I barely use the AC (targa ftw), but it's definitely nice to know it's there. Mine works perfectly. Honestly, I think it works better, faster than the AC in my dd civic does, or for that matter, the AC in my mother's BMW.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
My Supra and my Grand Prix both have non-functioning A/C and I HATE IT!!! I bought them both this way and I simply cannot afford to fix it at this point. I would rather spend my limited fun money on things that are shiny. lol The Supra isn't as bad cause I don't drive it in traffic, it has grey cloth and the roof comes out. The GTP is black leather and no sunroof. You could bake cookies inside it on most summer days.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
i think my supra just leaks freeon like crazy so the previous owner never replaced it, it blows warm air and i hate it.. supra + texas heat + traffic - ac = DEATH

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Its not worth the weight reduction, if you live in a hot climate, it does not make sense. Glad to hear someone enjoying it, rather than desperate calls for weight reduction. :)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I hardly ever use mine either, even though it's been hot as ballz here in GA.
I usually have to put one can of R134 in it at the beginning of summer, but it lasts for the whole season. Not bad for a completely original system (minus the R134 retrofit).

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
I didn't know it was a mod,,, but I luuuuve my ac. It got up to 107 here this year and its just gonna keep getting worse. Glad you don't have to suffer anymore. The supra was the first car I ever owned with ac, but sadly its not my daily driver, and the daily doesn't have it. The daily does however get me around for weeks on one tank.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
antman said:
I didn't know it was a mod,,, but I luuuuve my ac. It got up to 107 here this year and its just gonna keep getting worse. Glad you don't have to suffer anymore. The supra was the first car I ever owned with ac, but sadly its not my daily driver, and the daily doesn't have it. The daily does however get me around for weeks on one tank.
i'd pay for gas to have the a/c..

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
Zerocool said:
I on the other hand took my A/c of my supra since its not daily driven anymore and probably will never be a daily driver as long as I own it.
I dont daily drive my Z either and I wouldnt have it any other way. Its a 36 year old car and the A/C blows nice and cold, remember? And I still kick the crap out of Vipers. LOL.

antman said:
I didn't know it was a mod,,, but I luuuuve my ac. .....
Yea I knew I would get this comment. LOL.

Sawbladz said:
My Supra and my Grand Prix both have non-functioning A/C and I HATE IT!!! I bought them both this way and I simply cannot afford to fix it at this point. I would rather spend my limited fun money on things that are shiny. lol .....
It was cheap, like $20 bucks in seals or so and $50 in Freon and an afternoon of yanking the compressor and replacing the O-rings and shaft seal. You could probably rent an A/C vacuum pump for cheap from a rental store.

Last edited: