best first mods to do

tyler

Sep 14, 2006
canada
what mods should i do first. im installing a greddy mhg and arp head studs right now so i have that covered. now, what are the best ways to get to about 300 hp?

Tyler

Edit everything done so far new rad, thermostat, coolent lines, hks ssqv bov, 3 inch exhaust, (intake coming) (have turbo timer ebc boost/afr gauges) also getting the turbo rebuilt...nill add more as i think of them

Last edited:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
You should open up your motor by letting it have more air. Cone filter, and bigger exhaust would do the trick.

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
auto or standard? where are you at now is it all stock? Like posted before me, nice new air intake,bigger exhaust and more open muffler. If you want it to put 300 to the wheels, 3" exhaust is more than enough.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
3 inch exhaust and kand n or apexi intake and a ebc. a lex afm and 550's with a wabro would be a good idea too.

tyler

Sep 14, 2006
canada
oh ya i made a 3 inch side exit exhaust before i took the head off. if i got intake exhaust mhg upped boost and walbro pump(walbro what my mr2's have 255's ) lex afm and 550's what kinda hp would i be looking at right there... i also am making 2.5 inch ic pipes how big of an ic should i get? and what engine does the lexus afm need to come from?

tyler

Sep 14, 2006
canada
xXxICExXx said:
auto or standard? where are you at now is it all stock? Like posted before me, nice new air intake,bigger exhaust and more open muffler. If you want it to put 300 to the wheels, 3" exhaust is more than enough.
im 5 speed and its fairly stock

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Don't bother with 550's and the lex if all you have is intake and exhaust. Im running a divorced downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, intake and 10 lbs of boost. I dynoed 280 hp and 330 tq at the wheels. The next mod I do will be a wideband so I can keep an eye on things. At $200 I think that is cheap insurance.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Um, first, replace all your old vacume hoses. Then checks all of your sensors and make sure they're in good shape, clean them up!. Check your wiring harness and make sure it's in good shape, repair where needed. tighten down ALL bolts to spec. Make sure your engine's internals are going to handle the mods (high mileage engine + mods = bad). check the oil pump and water pump. Check radiator hoses, and all water hoses, replace where necessary. Check the thermostat and radiator, replace if neither are operating like they should. The cooling system on our cars is very fragile, so don't skimp on this!

Since your installing a MHG did you machine the head AND block to GReddy's spec? If not, kiss the money you spent on the HG goodbye ;). Check all egine codes and fix any that apear.

NOW you should be able to start modifying your car for power;).

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
full 3" exhaust
(no cats, resonators, or mufflers) :D <<<J/P, but full 3" is good...
intake obviously...
GET RID of the stock BPV (BOV)

edit: (assuming all maintinence that needs to be done has been)

Supra_brothers

Super Lurker
Oct 18, 2005
TX
it depends on how much money you have and what you want to do i did my turbo timer and bov first get the basics out of the way first