best deal of the year!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
so i came back from dinner saturday night, and i was on craigslist, search the usual terms... "supra" always being the first. and i see a radiator, so i click on it, thinking it was going to be an OEM one... wellll.... it wasnt anything close to stock one! it was a haste radiator somebody was selling for $50!!!!!!! so i immediatley emailed the guy, and said i could come tomorrow to get it. So i did, i drove up the next day, met the guy, really nice, had two supras, both in pretty good condition. chatted a little bit.... and came home.

TODAY: Installation! i knew it was going to be semi-bolt in... making the top mounts wasnt an issue with me, so i pulled out my stuff and made them, i beat the lip that the mishimoto radiators hit too, it made the radiator fit MUCH better. got it all done, and then installed my "flush valve" at the top heater hose at the back of the head.

Super great radiator, super thick, and its lighter than stock! only issue was making the brackets. but big deal! for $50 i couldnt be happier!!!!!

Heres the pics!

p1159350_1.jpg

p1159350_2.jpg

p1159350_3.jpg

p1159350_4.jpg

p1159350_5.jpg

p1159350_6.jpg

p1159350_7.jpg

p1159350_8.jpg

p1159350_9.jpg

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah, you really need to replace those brackets...the stock ones have rubber there for a reason (and it's not for noise/rattle). Same for the rubber "donuts" at the bottom mounts, they need to be there. That is if you want your shiney new rad to last very long ;)

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
That's ridiculous! My good friend purchased (I believe) the exact same one out of a want ad magazine for $350 and did nothing but brag about the awsome deal he had gotten. It seems I'm gonna have to prove him wrong, ya know... rub it in a little... for like a month:biglaugh:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the bottom mounts are in, which is why i beat that lip down to make it fit into them for sure.

the top brackets have two layers of foam type stuff under them to protect the radiator, i've been debating how i make better ones, and i think im just going to go out, buy some steel, and cut and weld so i can get the angles right on the brackets.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
jdub;1159457 said:
Yeah, you really need to replace those brackets...the stock ones have rubber there for a reason (and it's not for noise/rattle). Same for the rubber "donuts" at the bottom mounts, they need to be there. That is if you want your shiney new rad to last very long ;)

I'll decode jdub's cryptic message for you...you want the rubber isolators on each of the mounts to electronically isolate the radiator from the car body. Without them, you run the risk of turning the rad into a galvanic cell, resulting in the accelerated corrosion of the rad.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
adampecush;1159589 said:
I'll decode jdub's cryptic message for you...you want the rubber isolators on each of the mounts to electronically isolate the radiator from the car body. Without them, you run the risk of turning the rad into a galvanic cell, resulting in the accelerated corrosion of the rad.

oh... didnt know that. i guess i'll be buying some rubber pieces too then! i defintaley dont want corrosion....

i almost shit a brick when i showed up and it was huge! needless to say, i was pretty happy.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
adampecush;1159589 said:

Dead on Adam ;)

Grounding the rad to the body turns it into an anode...aluminum is one of the metals used as a sacrificial anode in other applications where galvanic corrosion occurs. An aluminum rad can develop a leak very quickly if it's left like that.

suprafredde

Apr 21, 2005
South of sweden
Bought a new shiney rad off ebay.
Not gonna tell from who before he has replied to my email.

Can say this much, beware that if may fit like shit and the fanshroud, forget it...

Expected to do some minor modifications, but was I in for a big surprise...

My so far worst deal of the year :icon_mad:

suprafredde

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
jdub;1159635 said:
Dead on Adam ;)

Grounding the rad to the body turns it into an anode...aluminum is one of the metals used as a sacrificial anode in other applications where galvanic corrosion occurs. An aluminum rad can develop a leak very quickly if it's left like that.

im going to put the weather stripping stuff all around it where it sits against the body then. i didnt know it would do that!

now im really glad i made this thread!

i've had no fan shroud since i put this engine in (i had planned going e-fan, but went away from it) so i just never got another one, and my stock rad was fine, i just wanted the piece of mind i guess... sorry bout your bad luck though. the old guy told me this fit the fan shroud fine, but i just wanted it cause it was so much bigger!

plumbers tape = metal straps? i know there not the best, but i wanted to be sure it was all good before i went and made some nicer ones.