Best clutch set-up for drag racing, Advice, What is everybody running?

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
I've read and have been doing a little bit of research on clutch choices for going down the strip.

Some say stick to the oem clutch disk and a stronger aftermarket pressure plate.

Others say go full aftermarket pressure plate and clutch disk, and then you have the options of sprung, un-sprung and multi-disk setups.

Currently I have an act heavy duty pressure plate and stock oem disk.

Ive heard something about how the stock clutch material is soft, gummy and it slips just a lil bit before it grabs, to make it easier to get good 60ft times on the launch.

But can it handle the heat and abuse of back to back passes?

Recently on my third pass after 15 min breaks, my clutch began slipping bad off the launch but now I'm starting to believe that it wasn't the clutch fault and driver error, I had my foot right at the engagement point while i was holding my launch rpms ( i was bracket racing and racing a car that dial in was 3 seconds slower than me so they kept me at the line for a long time) but it may have been engaged slightly while i was holding my launch rpms and got it hot so when i launched it started slipping instantly.

What do you guys think and what do yall run?

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
I am in the same boat with you. I've been replacing clutch disc everyyear from drag racing. From my research I found out multiplate or disc is the best setup for drag racing. But they are pricy. Cheapest I think is $1500.00. The cheaper option is single disc with bronze or feramic from horsepowerfreaks. The disc itself is $340.00. You can use your old act pp if it is not damaged. I am getting the bronze one next year after I destroy the act 6 puck I have now.

boostinprine

Nov 6, 2007
Carbondale, IL
i brought this topic up a while ago, nobody really said much other than to buy twin disc or HPF feramic. I am in the same boat, looking to launch hard with drag radials and put the power down. Im not ready to drop 1500 on a twin disc nor 800 on act pp and feramic disc.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
This has been covered a million times.. Pay the money for a good clutch if you don't like pulling your tranny out all the time. And multi-disc clutches are not always the answer. There is a good write-up in the MK4 section on Supra forums. I will see if I can find it.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Well just found out tha the disk is $470 dollars for just the HPF Feramic disk alone. So my advice to you is to get the spect stage 3+. It is a clutch kit that is rated at 620 lb/tq to the wheels. It is a High pressure plate with a ful face FERAMIC disk for only $600-650. Thats what im gonna get here soon and remember clutches now a days are rated by TORQUE not WHP. You can have 700rwhp and 600 lb/tq .......good luck man and keep us posted