Best clutch fan combo for 1JZ swapped Supra's?

Best fan setup for 1JZ

• Total voters

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
2jz pump and 2jzge fan here. Back of fan blades were trim roughly 1/2 inch off to clear water neck and i have enough space for shiny thick radiator if i choose too

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Not sure if i could fit a clutch fan in there, what do you guys think?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
yhatzee89;1927784 said:
Not sure if i could fit a clutch fan in there, what do you guys think?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

im running same setup as you I'm kind of interested bc mishimoto fans with rad don;t provide any clearance. But they only flow 2200 cfm which is less then stock but with a mechanical clutch fan you might be back up their.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Hydrofan and koyo radiator. Replaced the stock rubber hose with a SS hose for looks and piece of mind. No issues. Works as if it was made for it...

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
rakkasan;1927869 said:
Hydrofan and koyo radiator. Replaced the stock rubber hose with a SS hose for looks and piece of mind. No issues. Works as if it was made for it...

Wish i could of kept my hydro but the shroud cracked on 3 of the 4 places and was getting bad so had to do mechanical :(

i didn't want the headache of electric fan setup

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I think Albert has a Koyo Stock style rad with a 2JZGTE Clutch and a GTE blade with a shroud at 722WHP. I think that's the best setup to be honest. I want to do this same setup along with the aux fans onthe shroud wired into my ECU for safety purposes.

Yhatzee89, I'm basically in your situation for this year. My car is my DD and my current fan/radiator setup is simply not cutting it. In the summer once my fans turn on, they stay on until I turn my car off. This gets really annoying cause my idle gets rough, and I'm constantly worrying about temps going too high, so I can never boot it around as much as I want to.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
for some odd reason the DM pre89 jz motor mount brackets didnt gave me enough cleareance for mechanical clutch and fan, ended up with a zirgo 3000cfm no shrouding and I was overheating (bad rad cap) but now that the rest of the cooling system is fixed, the zirgo does it's job (coolant never get higher than 90C)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Mechanical was the way for me... one less place for a potential leak and/or additional moving parts/pumps, electrical to have to provision or worry about.

Electric is a very close next option, as I already have a high-output alternator for some support.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
What about Cooling Components Fans? They are top notch in the Hotrod world due to their high CFM (2200-2800 cfm for a single fan) and thin (2 5/8" ) fitment. I have heard these in person and they sure throw some serious air! Im probably going to get these myself as Im running a big radiator and its tough with clearance for me

supra1jz

Apr 14, 2008
Auburn, Georgia, United States
yhatzee89;1938823 said:
Well I now hate the electric fans since they have killed my battery twice already and always come on after I turn the car off :/

That's cause you have it weird wrong I have been using electric fans for years and never killed my battery so check your wiring.

evesehe9.jpg

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
it could also mean a dead short, the connectors that came with my mishimimoto fans were weak I ended up breaking one off after I crimped it while I was installing my intercooler. It might be better for you to buy a thermostat and have them thermostatically controlled instead of on ignition. Personally I just did it to ignition as well and they shut off when my turbo timer stops and all. I like the electric fans, I think their good for city driving when you start and stop lots. The motor fan/clutch fan setups are good if your going to track your car though, more constant airflow at all speeds.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Beals;1938831 said:
it could also mean a dead short, the connectors that came with my mishimimoto fans were weak I ended up breaking one off after I crimped it while I was installing my intercooler. It might be better for you to buy a thermostat and have them thermostatically controlled instead of on ignition. Personally I just did it to ignition as well and they shut off when my turbo timer stops and all. I like the electric fans, I think their good for city driving when you start and stop lots. The motor fan/clutch fan setups are good if your going to track your car though, more constant airflow at all speeds.

I do have the thermostat controlling them, but they are wired direct to the battery so they kick on even after the car has been off for a while. I think I'm going to wire them up to engine running power so it only comes on while actually driving.

I still want to see a pic of this 2J option so I can see if that is the route I wanna go eventually so I can ditch the electrics

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
you should have them wired to ignition never to battery, this will cause it to constantly draw power. Also if their thermostatically controlled, they should only come on when your thermostat tells them too. But if it was wired to your battery not ignition on a hot day your fans could turn on for "no reason" after you ran it and shut it off because of the constant power. For me it was easier to do it to ignition because of my turbo timer and electrical experience and it was extra for the low temp electronic t-stat.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
yhatzee89;1941600 said:
That's kinda what this thread is trying to establish

But still yet to see a pic of this setup installed...
The TT fan sits way closer to the radiator than the NA fan due to the depth/offset of the fan mounting tabs.

CRsupraiii;1941677 said:
MK4 TT Clutch and fan with stock koyo rad. Fits great, zero modification required!!
TT/NA clutches are the same part number. You do not have a TT fan in that picture otherwise you would not have any room for the shroud and TT's don't sit anywhere near that close to the waterneck.

I've experiemented with just about every combo and have found the following results:

2JZ clutch and TT fan:
Only clears stock radiator without a shroud

2JZ clutch and NA fan:
Can be shimmed forward or trimmed to fit a stock radiator and shroud as well as a Mishimoto radiator and shroud if trimmed

LS400 clutch and 7M fan:
Clears stock radiator with shroud and Mishimoto radiator without a shroud

I have also noticed my Chaser fan in my Cressida has a different placement than the NA and TT fans but haven't tested it in my Supra.