Best cast pistons

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Unless i can find some forged pistons for cheap im going to go with cast. I have been reading and clevite pistons where supposed to be really good, but i have been having trouble finding them. 400hp is the highest i expect out of this motor for a couple years. Im also dead set on running somewhere around 9-1 compression. Does anyone have anyone have recommendations?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I would go with probe forged personally, as i did. They are very reasonably priced and its a little extra assurance. Seen a lot of cracked pistons threads (usually its the users fault, but if they used forged its likely that it wouldn't have gone so fast)

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I ended up buying the npr set. I was told that i should use the loose end of the ring gap spec for higher boost.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Pistons are very cheap to buy imo, Probe are the cheaper of the forged and Driftmotion sells them for under $400. Why bother getting anything cheaper?

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
wiseco7mgt;1639237 said:
Pistons are very cheap to buy imo, Probe are the cheaper of the forged and Driftmotion sells them for under $400. Why bother getting anything cheaper?

nprs are just fine for a mild stock rebuild not looking for over or close to 500hp....I'm closing in on 300hp once i tune with my neo and i drive my car everyday and put 10k already on my nprs and have no problems...I do agree probe are very fairly priced.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Grimsta;1639291 said:
I'd be surprised if NRPs could handle 300hp, they're inferior to the OEM pistons

im about to find out cause im going to tune my car with my neo soon...but i seen couple threads on here and in 1 of them the guy pushed his all the way to like 400 somthing hp...

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
They are a little bit different. We alreay put the set back in the car. I forget why it was we reached that conclusion. I think it may have had to do with the the small oil hole passages in the piston compared to the stock

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
I have used both sets of NPR pistons, the polished ones and the ones with the teflon coating. From my personal experience the polished ones have worked better for me. I have had 2 sets of the Teflon coated NPR brake the ring lands quickly. I know use the polished ones and im pushing 430rwhp and 430rwtq with no problem so far after a year of abuse. Please do not tell your machinist to leave the boring and honing on the loose side. I think that only applies to forged pistons, keep your piston to wall clearances on the tight side of OEM specs. I have taken apart some motors and the cross hatchings are worn out on the cylinder walls. Good luck on your build MECEVANS

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
No it was bore/honed tight. I was told to gap the ring on the loose side so i dont break the ring lands as easily.