Best Bartender EVER!!!!

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
So I'm in central Wisconsin on business and head to the hotel bar with another coworker after a long day to order a couple of Jim Beams, straight up. This young bartender fills both 7 oz tumblers with ice and gets ready to pour when we stop him; NO ICE!

He grabs a nearly empty bottle of Beam and finishes it off with what looks like a regular pour into one of the glasses and opens another bottle. Without saying a word he keeps adding to the first glass, glug, glug, glug, until it is filled to the top and ready to spill over. Then he moves to the other glass and does the same. By then my eyes are wide opened and I'm starting to laugh, thinking he can't be serious. My coworker is looking back and forth between the two glasses with this Holy Shit look on his face and I completely lose it.

Well, there is this really cute girl filling out a new job application at the end of the bar and she's looking at us like we're stupid for laughing at nothing, which made it even funnier and I end up leaving for the bathroom so I can try to catch my breath because it's the funniest damn thing I've ever seen a bartender do. Every time I try to come back my coworker is sitting there with his shoulders bouncing up and down from laughing, so it took at least 10 minutes to come back. Later on we learned from the bar manager that the first bartender is the kitchen manager who gets drunk off of one or two wine spritzers and he ended up laughing until he cried too, but he's planning on some training his people a little better. :icon_conf

The young guy came back in a couple of times by himself, and we kept trying to get a couple of "glasses" of Johnny Walker Blue, but the real bartender came back, so no luck. Once we told the manager what happened he started cutting us deals for saving money down the road, and two serious buzzes later (four beers, two long island iced teas, three shots, and one JB Rye, and more that I forgot) I paid a grand total of just over $21 for the both of us. :naughty: I almost feel bad about the $10 tip I left. These things should happen more often. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
I am so confused.. utterly confused...

you didn't want ice? he ignored you? and this made you laugh?

wait... I am lost

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
A typical straight up drink would've been 1 1/2 ounces. This guy was 100% clueless as to what he was doing and filled both 7 oz glasses ful to the rim (an obscene amount for a single glass and about 50% of a fifth of beam) and charged us for the standard price. Most of the time you're not even going to get 7 full oz of wine when you order a glass, much less Beam. Then the next guy started giving us a bunch of freebies, including some appetizers now that I think about it. We should've been looking at a $80, maybe $100 tab, but ended up with $21.

Bah, I'm sober now. /thread

Last edited:

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Maybe the guy was just being nice. That would suck since you decided to tell the bar manager.

My regular bar is actually a hotel bar (a nice hotel) because the bartender gives me drinks and food for free. He certainly does not care how full he's filling my glass. I end up giving him $20 every time I go, but not a bad deal for dinner and unlimited drinks.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
dugums - we were very careful about getting the guys history and making sure he wasn't going to get shitcanned for what he did before we told. The bar manager is ultimately responsible for the performance of the bar and deserves to know where and when he needs to train, because it's his career on the line. The young 'bartender' was professional and courteous, but needed some training, and I seriously don't think he will get in any serious trouble for what he simply didn't know.

CK - EVERYBODY tries to take me home. I'm just picky, and my wife is the only one who does. :D