Best advice for moutain runs (spirited driving, not illegal :P)?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Well yeah... now ive been running on this one mountain for a coupel of days and it is FUN! i really try to go slow right now because im still learnig but i do manage to get to do some great fun stuff.But i have reached my first problem. POWER! Maan soem of the hills, you literally floor it and goo sooo damn slow! it is like one of the steepest inclines ive ever seen but it is mad fun. Any ideas on what icould possibly do to get easy torque for them hills? and my car is runnign rich so i usually only go slow up them and on the downhill runs i get to have soem real fun.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
I agree with IJ, your oils gonna be moving around alot and you wont get proper lubrication.

Racing on mountains is an easy way to burn up your bearings.

You could try the N/A 4.1 LSD Diff. I have no problems getting power up any of the mountains near me in my N/A.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I run the mountains here in Co and don't really race uphill but when I go up the mountain I have no probs.(Ihave the 4.30 diff and N/A) Like the others said make sure you and your car are ready to handle it. Oh, and be prepared for deer and various other wild life to pop out at you:icon_bigg P.S. downhill pwns uphill. WWAAYY faster and you can see whats comming up easier.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
you can do some mods to her...that will give you some more power... if you havent already open that bitch up with a new exhaust

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
we have road all over here on the iland up in the woods much mroe fun cause it flat ground most of the time

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
OneJoeZee said:
I drive way more conservative on the way down. Downhill scares me...

down hill should gravity suck's

cause you can drift all you want going up but going down drift a bit is like just aboit game over

we have logging road here that where we have our rally crosses and just plain fun ripping up loging road ass side ways cause these main are huge and they go up hill so and there lik 90 truns over and over again

lowbudgettarga

supra and I - Broke
Apr 2, 2005
Bellingham, WA
NashMan said:
down hill should gravity suck's

cause you can drift all you want going up but going down drift a bit is like just aboit game over

we have logging road here that where we have our rally crosses and just plain fun ripping up loging road ass side ways cause these main are huge and they go up hill so and there lik 90 truns over and over again
ditto to all of that. downhill makes me skeeered.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
the only time downhill is scary is when there snow on the ground

(I know dont drive it in the snow but im 17 and its my only car)

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
The big thing with mountain roads is heat.

On the way up the engine is constantly under heavy load. Things get HOT! Glowing orange exhaust manis and the like. Pop your hood when you stop to let that heat out and help cool things off. If your turbo, bring water to douse the intercooler.

On the way down BRAKES! I nearly set my brakes on fire once. I was charging down the mountain and coming hot into a corner when the pedal went straight to the floor and the car was not slowing fast enough! Damn I nearly pissed my Sparco. So I stopped to let the brakes cool and they where smoking. I was worried that they would ignite with no air blowing over them.
I recomend finding a brake pad that can hang with the temps. Personally I use Cobalt. They kickass. Squeaky and dusty, but oh man once they get some heat in they bite hard and do not fade. Don't forget quality fluid. You don't need to go to a high DOT nessisarly, but get the highest boiling point fluid you can find that will be ok to use with your stock rubber lines. Even better, upgrade to SS and run DOT 5.

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
BosoMKII said:
Don't forget quality fluid. You don't need to go to a high DOT nessisarly, but get the highest boiling point fluid you can find that will be ok to use with your stock rubber lines. Even better, upgrade to SS and run DOT 5.

5.1 to be exact cause 5 is silicone based i forget what 5.1 is made of but it is better than 3 and 4 aobviously and you can't compare it to 5 cause it's totally different and used for different reasons. learned that in Modified Mag.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
Boss302 said:
5.1 to be exact cause 5 is silicone based i forget what 5.1 is made of but it is better than 3 and 4 aobviously and you can't compare it to 5 cause it's totally different and used for different reasons. learned that in Modified Mag.

interesting tidbit, thanks for sharing :)

never heard of 5.1 but i may need to take a boo when i pick up stainless lines..