bent UCA...wtf?

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
So yeah this is kinda lame but funny....

So I have this IFS....how the hell you bent a UCA? I will put up a photo later or early tomorrow. For a short description, the back side of the aluminum upper is bent inward to the center of the chassis, bolt and arm. The bolt will need to be cut to be removed.

The suspension still cycles, by hand so there isnt too much resistance...may ignore it for now.

Hope UCA's dont cost much. :runaway:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'm assuming you're talking upper control arms :p

Try and find a wrecker or somewhere other than toyota to buy some...I had to buy some lower control arms for my car in a pinch and they cost me a pretty penny.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
This happened to my sisters upper control arm on her gs300 she tried to ignore it but for some reason her passenger tire on the side the control arm was bent would blowout, she would have to get brand new tires every 2 weeks or so until she finally replaced it and now her tires are fine

just giving you a heads up of what happened to my sister when she ignored it

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
When I bought my Supra, one of the rear upper arms was stretched. As in, one side had a short necked-down section and was longer than it should've been. My best guess, based on that and other repairs, is that the car had been hit on the driver's door and shoved sideways into a curb. I bought a new one from Toyota. I don't have it anymore or I'd take a photo.

As for bending, what violence would that take?

Asterix

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
Yeah, I agree IJ. It had to have been curbed hard or something. Here they are.

And sparkplug, thanks for the tire FYI... car wont be driven for AT LEAST a few months...

Bent...driver side...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Passenger side...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Or it was hit in the wheel by a car to but that load on the upper control arm...

I'd be looking very carefully at the entire car (subframe might be tweaked too)

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
were you trying Takumi's gutter runs? LOL
and of course a bent upper control arm will drastically effect camber thus wearing the edge of the tires...leading to blowouts

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
Wasnt me, just a parts car I bought with no engine. I know it drove 'fine' before. I am just hopin the spindle isnt jacked up.

Yeah like you said...we'll see when I get it driving and the tire wear shows.