Bends for DIY hardpipes?

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
Which bends should i get for my DIY harddpipes?
I'm going to weld my own 2,5" hardpipes and I figure that someone must have done this before...
I'm doing both upper and lower pipe and the bends available are 30, 45, 60, 90 degrees. There is also a almost U bend available.
Anyone got the recepie?:icon_bigg

Regards
Stefan, Sweden

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i believe i used (2) 2 foot straights and (3-4) 90* U-Bends when i did mine. and i did upper and lower.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
depends on how you are going to route the upper and which intercooler you have.

The lower is 2 45deg. for best flow (least restriction).

Again, it depends on how you plan on running the upper as to what all you will need. Mine when I did it was using the early intercooler and routed it through the original air box snorkle hole. All I needed was a LR (long radius) 90 and a single 45.

If you talk to Jayson (Idealsupra) you might be able to get pictures of the set that I built if he still has them. I sold them to him about a year ago.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
For the FFI, turbo to IC would still be 2 45deg. and a bit of straight and the IC to TB would either be 2 or 3 90's depending on the IC outlet.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
cjsupra90 said:
For the FFI, turbo to IC would still be 2 45deg. and a bit of straight and the IC to TB would either be 2 or 3 90's depending on the IC outlet.
with is with an intercooler with side openings correct?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
StefanLarsson said:
Which bends should i get for my DIY harddpipes?
I'm going to weld my own 2,5" hardpipes and I figure that someone must have done this before...
I'm doing both upper and lower pipe and the bends available are 30, 45, 60, 90 degrees. There is also a almost U bend available.
Anyone got the recepie?:icon_bigg

Regards
Stefan, Sweden

I know this will sound stupid, so please just bear with me...

Get some PVC pipe and several pieces of different bends. You can almost pre-fab what you'll need for less than about $20 US.

That way, you order just what you need and you even get to see where you might need different angled couplers, instead of pipe. Everyone's routing is different and this is by far the cheapest/easiest way to test-fit, before spending lots more $$ and time.

Good luck!!

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
cjsupra90 said:
depends on how you are going to route the upper and which intercooler you have.

The lower is 2 45deg. for best flow (least restriction).

Again, it depends on how you plan on running the upper as to what all you will need. Mine when I did it was using the early intercooler and routed it through the original air box snorkle hole. All I needed was a LR (long radius) 90 and a single 45.

If you talk to Jayson (Idealsupra) you might be able to get pictures of the set that I built if he still has them. I sold them to him about a year ago.

I'm using the stock intercooler for now and I'll route through the snorkel hole.
I have a -91 Supra so I guess I have the later model intercooler.

/Stefan, Sweden

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
yeah, you will have the later IC so you can you would need an extra 90 for the IC to TB pipe. you might be able to get-a-way with a single 180 U-bent inplace of the 2 90's

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Some exhaust shops that do custom work will have various scrap bends from exhaust they have made. I used 2.5" aluminized steel pipe for mine a few years ago. Very easy to mig weld that stuff.
Now I have been selling the aluminum piping kits I find that it is a lot easier to use those with couplers and the whole job requires no welding.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
bigaaron said:
Other then impressing your friends I can't think of any reason to run 3" IC piping for anything other then 700whp+.
well im not quite sure of my goals yet im thinking 500rwhp but when i get there i might just want more.lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ. said:
I'm 500+ on 2.5"

Bragger......................................:biglaugh:

J.K.....IJ...I've heard that 3" pipe is a big mistake. I'm going to go with some new 2.5 inch pipe myself................lol