Before-cooler theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
Ok I'm not a noob I know how Intercoolers and aftercoolers work but here is the deal..

Im thinking of using a m112 eaton roots blower on a 1uz. like this..

122427d1208098625-m112-supercharged-system-installation-005.jpg

On the Ford lighting it is cooled with an Air to water aftercooler that is placed INSIDE the intake plenum like this..
mmfs_060069_07_z+ford_lightning_ported_eaton+air_to_water_intercooler.jpg

1blockintercoolerfront.jpg

It works by pumping water through it which pulls the heat out up to the front of the truck to be cooled by the heat exchanger.

Now that system is way too complicated for me to even attempt. but how would this work.. running a traditional FMIC with a K&N on one end, then plumb the other end all the way up to the Throttle body on the blower?

I realize that the air will be cool before it gets to the blower, and probably get heated up once it passes through and leaves the blower, but how fast/much could the blower possibly heat it up?

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
you would pretty much get no benefit from that, only real way to cool a roots blower is to mount it remotely and make a plenum underneath for the charged air to run into an i/c then up ot a throttle body

Viggs

Slow t67 1j
Jan 28, 2008
Buffalo
I had someone once tell me that the air coming out of a intercooler was ice cold and on his buddies car the cold pipe would get frost on it. :yelrotflm That setup with the fmic and filter wouldn't do squat. Without any type of cooler after the blower you won't be able to run much boost.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Viggs;1441003 said:
I had someone once tell me that the air coming out of a intercooler was ice cold and on his buddies car the cold pipe would get frost on it. :yelrotflm That setup with the fmic and filter wouldn't do squat. Without any type of cooler after the blower you won't be able to run much boost.
By his math, Ambient air+Ambient air=colder than ambient air. [sarcasm] GENIUS! [/sarcasm] The only way he could maybe get frost would be by spraying CO2 or Nitrous through the intercooler. lol, not to be mean, but the setup you want to do is just a waste of time, an intercooler, and some piping.
-AM3

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
If you are looking for something easier try meth injection. Several people run it on turbos without an intercooler. I'm sure it could probably work the same for a SC.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Boostage;1440980 said:
I realize that the air will be cool before it gets to the blower, and probably get heated up once it passes through and leaves the blower, but how fast/much could the blower possibly heat it up?

A Roots type blower is a very inefficient compressor. They are only about 50-60% efficient. It's not uncommon for a roots type blower to increase intake temps by 85 deg F over ambient, sometimes far worse if you're overdriving the blower a good bit. At the top of the RPM curve you'll be dealing with 200 deg F intake temps - possibly higher.

Your IC idea is a complete waste. I know you prefaced your post with "I know how this works" but your idea shows that you really don't. There will be no effect cooling ambient air with ambient air.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
IJ.;1441362 said:
ohhh my ..... :nono:

my thoughts precisely

"Now that system is way too complicated for me to even attempt. but how would this work.. running a traditional FMIC with a K&N on one end, then plumb the other end all the way up to the Throttle body on the blower?"

just because you run air through a bunch of aluminum does not make it cooler.

But any how.. Just forget about cooling any air with a roots blower unless your doing a like Ford lightning air to water cooler. It's not going to happen with out the Ford lightning air to water set up because there is no other easy way. You could do a custom air to water setup with a water tank and another heat exchanger mounted to the fount of the car don't for get a electric water pump and fan for the exchanger...I'm going to stop right there because that's like $1000 worth of parts and labor and just try to fit all that under the hood with a 1uz.
your best bet is to get as close to ambient air temp. (meening out side the car) to the roots charger as you can. Pipe it in from a vent and heat wrap the pipe that's cheaper and is renewable.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Boostage;1440980 said:

sorry chief

you forgot one very important aspect of the Ford Lightning intercooler setup. They actually run the ac compressor to reduce the temprature of the coolant below ambient. It is NOT, will not freeze it as there is not enough AC system to do that in the time needed.

With that said,

go read some books on this stuff..... learn. Realize what is possible and not.

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.