before and after engine bay shots, cleaned using simple green. :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
these pics are from last summer while my motor was still out of the car. the before picture illustrates how my engine bay looked right after i pulled my N/A motor out. (rodknocked:() please notice how grimy it is. it disgusts me now. mind you, when i first got my car, i loved it, but i knew absolutely nothing about it, except that it handled better than my '71 chevy c-10 pickup. (damn, was i n00b) (heh, for those of you interesed, that was less than 3 years ago)
p200687_1.jpg

and here we have the *almost* finished product. this took a total of 45 minutes with a bottle of simple green, and lots of "rag in the box" rags. (they work great!) it doesn't look quite this good anymore, but it's close. now, get out there and enjoy the beautiful day cleaning up your grimy ass engine bay! :)
p200687_2.jpg

and a close-up of how shiny it gets:
p200687_3.jpg

hope that motivated you to go out and clean your engine bay!
(by the way, that white looking 4"x2" area is where i closed off the A/C evaporator lines after i removed the evap, hardlines, condensor, and compressor. read: no A/C at all) i didn't want to weld the hole because i still have all the associated hardware. i like the option of spending an afternoon to put it all back in, charge it up, and have A/C again. ;))

-shaeff

N

NDBoost

When my motor comes out all my engine bay items will be coming out and the engine bay will be getting a hefty coat of 3M Tuffcoat (black) to help keep things nice and tidy.

but thats the same case for me. I had an 86.5 NA and i knew absolutely nothing about it.. then i got my new baby :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i didn't get a new car, i just learned a whole lot about them, and did a turboswap. :)

-shaeff

N

NDBoost

yah, i was stupid for selling my car. Bought the NA for $2850(rip off) put a $1k sound system in, $400 suspension, new clutch, and a TON of misc things. Sold the car for $2200.. biggest mistake in my life, now it sits in someones yard awaiting a NA-T getting dusty. I washed, waxed that car so many times (she was my baby)..

86.5 NA Two Tone Tan w/ sawblades tan interior and eibach lowering springs.
Just after a fresh wash w/ the new corner lights & lowering springs..
http://7mpwr.com/pictures.7mp?i=twotone.jpg

bone stock form (the 1st day i got her)
http://7mpwr.com/pictures.7mp?i=twotone (1).jpg

Ive come a LONG way within the last year (Ive had a supra for a little over a year now) and i still have a LONG way to go.. Hopefully by pulling and rebuilding my motor i will learn alot more.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
we all make mistakes. i got mine off ebay for $820. drove down with my dad's truck and a U-haul trailor ($50) and picked it up, trailored it home, replaced the alternator brushes, and it didn't give me a single problem for a year.

now i've got thousands dumped into it. it's a disease, i swear.

your car looks/looked good.

-shaeff

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
hey i want to clean my engine ater today.
wat should i use. the stuff in the self car wash and then put a bad over my injectors and over my intake?
or is there something household i could use?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
92turbo4life said:
hey i want to clean my engine ater today.
wat should i use. the stuff in the self car wash and then put a bad over my injectors and over my intake?
or is there something household i could use?

The answer to your question about what to use just might :hint hint: be contained in the TITLE OF THE THREAD. But if you noticed, his engine is not in the car. he cleaned the engine Bay... Do Not Soak Your Motor.

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
so what i am going to do is spray water on the motor with the injecotrs and intake covered. then put the engine cleaner and simple green and let it saok for about 30 seconds and then wash it off. ill do the alternator and stuff by itself later as well as the accordian hose and such. couple questions.
1. can i get all my wires and plugs etc wet.
2. can i get the battery wet
3. anything i need to cover besides injectors and intake?

and im gonna do this with the car ON right?

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
92turbo4life said:
so what i am going to do is spray water on the motor with the injecotrs and intake covered. then put the engine cleaner and simple green and let it saok for about 30 seconds and then wash it off. ill do the alternator and stuff by itself later as well as the accordian hose and such. couple questions.
1. can i get all my wires and plugs etc wet.
2. can i get the battery wet
3. anything i need to cover besides injectors and intake?

and im gonna do this with the car ON right?

I would do it with the car off and motor cold, When I do mine I just carefully spray the simple green on the dry engine bay then use plenty of rags to wipe it down. use your sence when doing this and dont soak the electronics and such with the simple green. I never had the urge to spray my motor with a hose.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
That looks awesome Shaeff!
Simple Green is teh rox0rz. I did that to my Legacy, which is white, yet the engine bay was a brown/black.. lol
It's almost like the grease protects the paint, because now, my engine bay is so shiny!

How I did it on my Subaru, I went to a Car Wash place, with the bottle of Simple Green and leaving the car running, hosed around the engine and all over, sparing the electronics. Car runs fine!
Just be smart about it, that's all.

Justin727

T-virus infected
if you absolutley have to goto the self car wash. cover most of ur electronics,wires,coil packs, disct.7mge, and most importantly ur plug valley.
Just use simple green and alot of rags. just use some elbow grease.you'd be suprised how far it can actually go

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Yeah, I mean, I didn't even use rags and it still came out great! Just pressure washing after the Simple Green soaks in works damn good!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yeah, i just use simple green and rags. no water or anything. it was easy with the engine out. very, very easy, actually. i used some Q-tips to get in around the brake lines and stuff.

bigal: i'm not sure when you'll get to see it. we should figure something out!

thanks for looking everyone .:)

go clean yours now!

-shaeff

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
The second day i bought my car, the engine was FILTHY!

I took it home, and spent close to nine-hours down stairs and went through three bottles of simple green and six towels. Looks amazing to this day, but ive also only put around 10-15 miles on the car since i got it, and that was three and a half years ago!

;)

Looks sweet shaeff! You gotta keep that car clean so when i see it ill be even more amazed! :love:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, it's dirty as hell as of right now. i'm actually pretty pissed.

last night i was out in my driveway until about 11pm installing my B&M 11x8 oil cooler, oil t-stat, and filter relocation kit. i primed the system, started up, instantly, i had +20psi more oil pressure. my needle used to sit a tiny bit above zero at idle, and now it sits at 20psi.

cruising, i used to get 20psi, now i get 40. that's pretty good.

HOWEVER, one of my mounts didn't hold up, and i was out cruising around today, enjoying my 40psi of oil pressure, when i noticed smoke billowing from the engine bay. it turns out the spot i had one of the lines routed had shifted, and sent the oil line right into the clutchfan. i shut the car down immediately of course.

i was about a mile from home, so i got up to 70mph, shut the car off, and coasted most of the way there. pulled in my driveway, put cardboard under the car.

the entire exhaust side is COVERED in oil. this is of course my fault, as i should have made sure the line would not move. live and learn i guess.

so now i'm waiting for it to cool down so i can go outside and clean up the mess all over everything. ugh.

then find a new line and re-route it. :sigh:

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
haha. yeah. oh well!

these lines are only temporary until i get my ss braided aeroquip setup. :)

-shaeff