Beaten to death 7m, 1jz, or 2jz

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey guys,
Before we start, I know this has been beaten to death, over, and over. I've done plenty of research and now I would like to just finalize my decision.
My current setup is an 87 supra, 7mgte, 5sp r154, oem headgasket redone. 3inch downpipe and hard pipe kit being the only real modifications, pushing 9 psi creeping to 12 psi. My original goal was drive it this summer, enjoy, and next spring redo the headgasket to metal, change my turbo and push to roughly 400-450whp and sit comfortably.
After enjoying my car and a friends skyline at 430 awhp this summer, I've decided against making a 450whp DD and changed to the idea of a 5-600whp weekend warrior. I've been looking at my options and this is where I stand.
Before going on, I do plan to do all the work myself, whether a rebuild or swap etc.
I can
1) yank out the 7mgte, build it right with forged goodies, mhg etc.
2) pick up a 1jz ( avg price for just the engine non vvt-i seems to be 1200 usd), go single turbo etc
3) pick up a 2jz ( price ranges from 2000-3000 for engine and auto tranny (would keep my stock r154) ), go single etc

I realise at that power range my tranny may not hold for long, depending on funds while the tranny is out I may pick up the dm rebuild kit with martin crawler parts

Question about VVT-I, here in Montreal, a 2jz VVT-I engine is 800-900$ cheaper than a non VVT-I, and the non VVT-I 1jz are not common. I have heard bad things about how difficult it is to use and tune the VVT-I in our mk3s, any input on this? I am comfortable with wiring and so on but I may still look into having my harness made.

I am planning to start the project in and around april and will have daily access to a full shop. My budget for the motor side of things (ie not including the suspension that will have to be done) will be anywhere from 4-6k to at least have myself running properly with some decent numbers, ie in the 400s?.

You guys have been awesome thus far, any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
honestly i would take out the 7m and built it right. you could throw a 2jz with a single and make good power, but how long will it last you at that power level?
any engine will need to be built properly and tuned to last. you already have a base to start with (7m) i would just built it, dont cut corners, get a nice standalone to control everything and go from there.

youll probably spend around that 4-5k just fitting the 2jz into your supra, minus all the horsepower goodies like turbo, ecu, injectors, etc..

IIRC Dwane is running a completely stock tranny on his 1000+ RWHP 7m supra. check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWm5mY8t0IM

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Yeah I saw his supra I follow him on Instagram, it's so crazy!!!
If I do all the work myself how much do you think it would run me to put our 5-600hp? I'm not looking for a number to the dollar :p just +- 1k

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
do you plan on tuning yourself or taking it to a shop. id highly recommend taking it to a shop if you have never tuned a standalone before.
correct me if im wrong on some prices, this is just a rough estimate.

clutch - 700+
turbo 600+++ <-- borgwarner s366 price
standalone - 1400+ or megasquirt for roughly 800 IIRC <-- DIY
injectors - 500ish
FPR - 260
radiator - 300
pistons - 800
rods - 550
oil pump - 250
turbo manifold - 400
IC+piping - 200-300
Fuel pump - 200ish depends on single or dual
AFR Gauge - 200
Cams - 600. or regrind - 120EA
timing belt - 100
tensioner pulley - 40
feed/drain lines - 100
id recommend a full flow oil cooler setup - 300ish
head studs - 130
Headgasket - 170
bearings - 100
gasket kit - 200

im sure you could save money, or spend more money on some of those items. but thats just a rough estimate of what youd spend building a 7m minus machine shop fees. theres tons of other things you could put in your build but these are just some of the basics.

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Alright, I'd LOVE to tune myself but I have 0 experience and would not like to learn on my precious supra, I have a couple of those items already, any reason why you didn't mention the ecu masters emu? I have their det3 which I never installed before my car broke, but I like the look of the emu, any reason specifically for mega squirt?

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Funny you say that, I ran the det3 then upgraded to their standalone. Their standalone pnp was about 1400$. Great ecu for the price. I mentioned the megasquirt for cost reasons. It's more of a diy ecu that is cheaper

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Honestly I take time out of my day to read stuff you post, I enjoy what you post here and it was your experience with ecu master that led me to ecumaster, obviously depending on cash in the moment, I'd like to go with ecumaster, but I also know that no matter how good it is, I should check out the tuning shops around here and see what they can tune no? Idk if I'd want someone learning a new standalone on my car?

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Yeah definitely. Call around and see who your comfortable with working with your car and what they tune best. I'd only let certain people work on my car, I'm very picky. You may be able to get to that 500hp range with a piggyback but it would be pushing it.
I think Cajun Kenny Is around that 500hp mark on a maft pro and water methanol but he said it was a little sketchy so he turned the boost down.
You may not need all foraged internals for 500ish hp but it's really good insurance

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
I'm sure with water methanol injection that would be achievable but someone with more experience would need to chime in on that one