Bearings....

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I have removed and taken the engine aprt now and I am going to replace the cam bearing and crank shaft bearing. The question is do I just order std bearing or do i really have to look at the table and order the correct stuff? I mean the table even has std 1,2,3,4,5.... made you think there are 5 set of std bearing, wtf?

O one more question, do you guys usually replace your valves? I took them out to replace the oil seal and the intake one is still ok but the exh one has deposit on them and i put them in the dip chemical to get the stuff off. Should I just replace the valve or just scrape off the deposit with a sharp blade after dipping them in the chemical to loosen them up?

lol actually I got a couple more questions.

Since I removed the engine and figured I got blown piston ring and there are carbon deposit inside the intake manifold and intake valve area, I tried to use a drill and clean them off with metal brush. Do you guys know of any better way of remove the stuff, especially when it come to the manifold since I don't think the drill will reach that far in. I was thinking of getting a tub and dump immerse the head and manifold in gasoline and cover up the tub and let it soak for a couple of day and hope the carbon come off after using high pressure water compressor.

Last edited:

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
sathu said:
I have removed and taken the engine aprt now and I am going to replace the cam bearing and crank shaft bearing. The question is do I just order std bearing or do i really have to look at the table and order the correct stuff? I mean the table even has std 1,2,3,4,5.... made you think there are 5 set of std bearing, wtf?

O one more question, do you guys usually replace your valves? I took them out to replace the oil seal and the intake one is still ok but the exh one has deposit on them and i put them in the dip chemical to get the stuff off. Should I just replace the valve or just scrape off the deposit with a sharp blade after dipping them in the chemical to loosen them up?

lol actually I got a couple more questions.

Since I removed the engine and figured I got blown piston ring and there are carbon deposit inside the intake manifold and intake valve area, I tried to use a drill and clean them off with metal brush. Do you guys know of any better way of remove the stuff, especially when it come to the manifold since I don't think the drill will reach that far in. I was thinking of getting a tub and dump immerse the head and manifold in gasoline and cover up the tub and let it soak for a couple of day and hope the carbon come off after using high pressure water compressor.
Our cams don’t use bearings that you can remove or replace. The cam caps are the bearings.

As far as the crank shaft bearings, the ideal way to do it is to have them mic’ed by a very reputable machine shop and one that will understand and appreciate the precise blue printing that these cars need for their build ups. (From what I gather, many domestic cars are not so precise or need the same level of precision that some imports need for their clearances.)
Another way to select the proper bearings for the crank mains and rods is to read the numbers from the block and the rods and buy them that way.
I would be particularly careful with the rod bearings. Those I would definitely want to be to the most perfect size and ideal clearance. The mains seem to have a higher level of forgiveness.

As far as the valves, if you do a valve job (which may cost you as little as $200 if you disassemble and reassemble it), the shop will clean them up for you in that process.
That is IF you opt for the valve job. Many will tell you that the top end (the head) and the bottom end (the block) should be rebuilt together or else one will stress the other out.
It would have been nice if you had a leak down test before disassembly to gauge your engine’s sealing.

As far as cleaning your head and the manifolds, I would send that out to a machine shop and have them clean it. The manifold could be bead blasted as long as they are very careful with where the flange meets the gasket. Messing up that surface may increase the chance that you will have leaks. So as long as they just focus on the inner tubes and not the flange, you will be set.