Bearing plate? (suspension)

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Went to go get my front end aligned today and the guy who test drove my car (I went with him, he took it easy) complained that the bearing plates were binding. He turned the wheel all the way to the left (to take a left), let go of the wheel halfway through the turn and accelerated, and the car turned about 90 or 100 degrees before it straighted almost all the way out (in other words, we were angled towards the oncoming lane, but not entirely in it).

I talked to another guy who was more hospitable and he told me he was talking about the bearings on the top of the strut mount, they're supposed to rotate when the wheels are turned (honestly didn't know what he was talking about, I'll admit it...). I claimed it was just my PPS assisting in the turn, it wasn't that bad. I have to go back on Monday when it won't be as busy, but I *REALLY* want some clarification on this topic.

I am searching, no results. I've found a few other suspension threads that I am currently reading just so I have more background information.

But a few other questions while I'm here anyways:

With Eibach springs and Illumina II struts, the stock alignment settings are perfectly fine, correct?

How would I be able to test, myself, that the upper strut mount bearing is bad? What determines if it is good/bad? There is no unusual binding that I've noticed before/after installing the springs/struts, the car turns like it always has (relatively easily), no weird noises either.

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
SideWinderGX;1342462 said:
...he was talking about the bearings on the top of the strut mount, they're supposed to rotate when the wheels are turned...

If we had MacPherson struts yes, but we don't. You should tell him to look into another line of work, or take your car to another shop immediately. I highly doubt the mount is bad. Also there is plenty of adjustment in the cams to get the alignment back into spec with Eibach springs.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Take the car to a shop familiar with double wishbone suspension. The only way the mounts go "bad" is if you manage to rotate the strut rod in it when tightening and it prevents you from achieving adequate torque. All the strut mounts are is pieces of metal with 3 studs and a hole for the strut rod (and, I guess a rubber isolator)...it is pretty difficult to destroy them.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Use a little more castor when it's aligned.....

Sounds like most shops these days they find all these things "wrong" and will fix them for you for $, just in this case he's talking total bullshit wether he knows it or not.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
LOL this thread damn near made me shit all over myself.

That mechanic is a big fermented bag of douche water! Have him rotate the air in your tires while he is at it!

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
I'm laughing pretty hard right now, yet at the same time I'm pissed I didn't know this stuff yesterday haha. There's no rust around the strut mount so I highly doubt the mount is bad anyways.

Time to go and spiff up my knowledge of non/Macpherson struts for Monday morning...

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Wow! I have to go check my upper bearing plates right away. That must be why my car makes noise when I hit the steering stops. Thanks for cluing me in guys.:evil2:

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I would go back to that shop and ask the guy to point out this bearing plate. When he can't point it out, laugh and tell him you are posting the whole story with the name of the shop all over the world.