BBK conversion thread-pic heavy

Jul 30, 2011
A-Town WA
I recently finished my brake conversion on my 91 turbo chassis and would like to share with the world about it. I have not had the opportunity to test drive it yet so if you choose to take on this swap or attempt using similar parts I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS, NOR HELD LIABLE FOR ANY NEGITIVE OUTCOME FOR DOING THIS.

To start off I have a 1991 MA71 chassis. Started by removing abs completely using non abs lines, leaving the larger master cylinder in though, new proportioning valve, stoptech race fluid, mk3 supra Earls braided lines (28G030ERL), Driftmotion's cobra bracket kit, 2000 Cobra R brembo kit (M-2300-X), 2008 Sti powerslot rear rotors (have 58mm center bore so need to be machined out approx 2mm), 2006 Evo 9 mr rear calipers (good set from ebay $300 shipped), new 7m head bolt washers (Rodland toyota), a couple new angle grinder disc's n fresh pair of mechanics gloves.

I started on sourcing a good machinist, found Arlington Machine and Welding to machine out the rear rotors. Cost me $30 with tax and 1 day turn around since I dropped off at the end of the day. Pic of old rear vs new rear image.jpg
Now the mounting ears are exactly the same for the rear calipers, you just have to trim the dust shield alil
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

use the 7m head bolt washers for the proper spacing(a stack up of 2 is required per mounting bolt and grinding/machining it to proper thickness may be required) I fitted the calipers after installing new stoptech pads and boltin the rotor on with a wheel spacer then setting the ebrake (which still works perfectly).
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Finished product image.jpg

Jul 30, 2011
A-Town WA
Now onto the fronts, I started by trimming most of the dust shields off.
image.jpg

The new massive staggered 4 pot's (placed over a dinner napkin for reference)
image.jpg

The Driftmotion bracket won't just bolt to the caliper, you have to grind the bracket and the caliper alil, no big deal though, then install the hub spacer to the rotor and slip it onto the hub and bolt on a wheel spacer to hold it all in place, then bolt on the caliper. I had to grind/machine off a slight amount of the mounting ear to adjust the spacing of the pads to proper fitment.
image.jpg

Now the earls lines thread into the brembo calipers but you have to trim them alil cuz the threaded portion is too long then use new copper crush washers.

I have volk gt7 19's in g35/350z fitment (+24 rear/ +27 front) but required a 25mm hub spacer to clear the caliper and position my tire where I wanted common to the fender.
Finished product:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 76

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
justin.daniels2;1929324 said:
Nice! Glad to see others seeking out different setups, let me know how it goes.

Thanks bro, I'm gonna try and pick up a set of cobra brakes this week so I have the whole setup improved over stock.
Why did you remove the ABS? Personal preference, ease of install, better setup?
And did you have to remove most of the dust shield on the front or was that just personal pref?

Looks great so far, can't wait to see them tried out

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
beautiful rims btw, I plan on painting my centres red like that and re-chroming the polished lips after I replace my brake pads and install my coilovers. You don't really need a BBK til you reach over 500rwhp right?

oh btw: i've noticed some people go with evo and some people go with cobra brakes/calipers is their an advatange/disadvantage to either?

Jul 30, 2011
A-Town WA
Yhatzee- it was more out of preference, I did lots of research on it before doing this. Lots of people do the conversion and say to just leave the abs and "let it figure itself out" I'd rather not go with that route and just know how to really drive my car. Yeah it can be a dangerous route to take but being a cautious driver and not speeding in places your not supposed to i should be fine, I have a 89 cressida w/o abs and have gotten used to no abs. Another aspect is if I actually do take my supra out drifting I don't want abs to interfere. It also was around 25lbs loosing the abs pump and not needed lines.
The dust shield on the front was a pita to work with so I just left the lower part to it. I'm thinking it will also be more air access to the crazy venting made into the rotors.

beals- thanks, for the compliment. I had the centers powder coated but they cracked from flexing when reassembled unfortunately and there is no way around it per what my powder coater said. I dull polished the barrels by hand with scotch brite and then working with emery cloth 600grit-2000 (+200 intervals) then hand polished with metall aluminum and stainless polishing compound.

As for reasoning behind the swap, I have remanufactured this entire car pretty much. Been a long 4 years since it was driven as a factory stock car with just custom paint and wheels. I researched a few different routes for brake mods and this was one of the most comparable to the full wilwood swap but a few hundred cheaper, and having full brembo's.. My car's current build is good for 650 hp max, I have a new 2jgeshort block with new gte internals and a good gte head which is getting all ferrea parts, hks 272 cams, 1zz coil swap. Haven't decided on turbo setup for that build but in the end I'm shooting for at least 800hp but could possibly hit 1k.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
Hey send me some info on the front brakes and how you made them fit I have cobra r brembos driftmotion brackets and cobra rotors and semi metallic pads and they no worky without grinding but if you could send some info on what and where and how muvh you ground off id appreciate it alot

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
Nice bro. I do say that abs Is awesome on the track. And by that I mean road racing, Trust me you think you can thresh hold brake well but when It starts to rain or another car has dropped fluid You can and will lock a tire. Think you know what happens next. But anyway if you still have your front abs sensors I will buy them. They gotta be working tho. Let me know asap. But I do push my car to the limit on track. And you need a bbk at stock power if you want the most out of the car on track.