Battery tie-down bolt

Ozz89supra

Ozzy
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix
adampecush;1381371 said:
I know its extremely ghetto, but you could JB weld a nut on the other side (should work as long as you're not constantly removing and installing the battery)

I can't beleive I recommended JB weld...

Kidding me?? I love JB weld, it has gotten me through so tight situations. A must have for every MKIII owner!! ::w00t::

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^sooo soo wrong. jb weld is a temp fix. not for anything to fix right at all.

i would weld it if you can. just remove the battery and you will have easier access.

i dont even have one...:nono:

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Ozz89supra;1381610 said:
Kidding me?? I love JB weld, it has gotten me through so tight situations. A must have for every MKIII owner!! ::w00t::

I've owned at least one MKIII over the last six and a half years and have never used JB Weld. I don't like doing temporary fixes or patches, I like to do things right and only once.

hvyman;1381625 said:
i would weld it if you can. just remove the battery and you will have easier access.

i dont even have one...:nono:

The battery is already out due to other work on the car. I'll have to look into welding a nut on there. I wonder if just any auto shop would do it...?

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
swaq;1381635 said:
I've owned at least one MKIII over the last six and a half years and have never used JB Weld. I don't like doing temporary fixes or patches, I like to do things right and only once.

The battery is already out due to other work on the car. I'll have to look into welding a nut on there. I wonder if just any auto shop would do it...?

Why not just use a Tap? Its extremely easy and pretty cheap. How big is the stripped hole?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
redhot91gt;1381655 said:
Why not just use a Tap? Its extremely easy and pretty cheap. How big is the stripped hole?

The hole is about 9 mm in diameter. It looks like there used to be a threaded part attached to that hole, so it's not like it's just stripped, the threaded part is gone completely. The diameter of the hole in the tie-down bracket is also 9 mm, so if I thread it for bigger it won't fit through the bracket...