Battery tie-down bolt

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I was wondering if there should be threads in the chassis where the battery tie-down bolt is supposed to go (next to the driver's side headlight). I'm not sure if the bolt I have is original or not but it doesn't thread into the hole and instead is held in place but a couple nuts.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
hvyman;1381027 said:
one rod & nut and the other bolts to the frame behind the headlight.
Yes, I know. Perhaps I didn't phrase my question very well. The hole behind the headlight on my car doesn't have any threads, it's just a hole. Also, it looks bigger than the other similar holes (e.g. radiator bolts) in the frame. Is there supposed to be threads in that hole?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
adampecush;1381212 said:
it should be threaded...M6 x 1.

Looks like yours is stripped.

Yeah, I figured as much. Any thoughts on what to do? The way it was when I got it the bolt was in backwards and held in by a nut, and then another nut was used to secure the tie-down. The problem with this is it is just high enough to rub up against the headlight cover when the lights are switched on.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
hvyman;1381234 said:
thread it or use a bolt and nut.

How can I thread it?

Bolt and nut doesn't work because whichever one is underneath will fall when it is unfastened. And it's blocked by the battery anyway so getting it tight isn't very feasible. Using two nuts as it was before works okay, except for being too tall, as I already mentioned.

Ozz89supra

Ozzy
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix
Or you can get creative and make your own........ I had to because they would not let me pass tech without a tie down :icon_bigg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
you could drill and tap to a M8 thread...if there is enough nut left on the other side, you're in business. If not, remove what is left of the nut and use your own nut and bolt.

Ozz89supra

Ozzy
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix
swaq;1381254 said:
I can't really tell from the picture, how did you attach it on the headlight side?

There was just a threaded hole there, Im not sure if thats were the stock one goes or what.... but is right underneath the headlight

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
adampecush;1381273 said:
you could drill and tap to a M8 thread...if there is enough nut left on the other side, you're in business. If not, remove what is left of the nut and use your own nut and bolt.
There is no nut left on the other side... It's just a hole.

Ozz89supra;1381274 said:
There was just a threaded hole there, Im not sure if thats were the stock one goes or what.... but is right underneath the headlight
Yeah, I don't have a threaded hole. :(

Ozz89supra

Ozzy
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix
swaq;1381298 said:
Would welding a nut on the bottom side work? I'd have to find someone who could weld...

yeah that would work also, Im just not sure how much of a pain in the ass it is to get a nut welded on there

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I know its extremely ghetto, but you could JB weld a nut on the other side (should work as long as you're not constantly removing and installing the battery)

I can't beleive I recommended JB weld...